Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » How can I get the latest DTS sampler DVD?

Author Topic: How can I get the latest DTS sampler DVD?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 04:11 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have the first two DTS digital DVD samplers but I have the two previous editions, volumes #3 and #4 and was wondering how can I get the latest version, volume #5? The current DVD has a scene from "MOULIN ROUGE" and "SHEREK" and some other movie segments. The first one I have which was actually volume three featured the trailer from "TITANIC" and was rather difficult to obtain but the third one was easy. I am beginning to feel that Sampler #5 is also hard to obtain. I saw the demo at Sears last week and it looked like they had a copy for every TV that was connected to a DVD player. I thought about making the manager of that department an offer for a copy but felt I should try to get it from the offical source or from someone on these boards who has an extra one.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got demos 3 and 4 from www.dtsonline.com
#3 was free but #4 was about $10 (they only offer the latest ones so you won't be able to get 3 or 4 now.)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-09-2002 06:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any of the DTS sampler DVDs because I already either own all the DTS stuff on DVD that is really really good or the other stuff I don't have featured on those discs are from movies that suck.

I would probably plunk down $10 or $20 for a DTS demo DVD that had more than just a few clips from DVDs I already own. If DTS had more theatrical trailers and perhaps made a short video piece on the history of DTS and its forerunner company NuOptix then the value would increase a bit more.

Dolby's "We've Got the Whole World Listening" DVD is pretty good. You get a history piece on Dolby Labs, a basic explanation of Dolby Digital, all the theatrical trailers (and the "Game" trailer) and a couple music only items. Dolby can make some improvements to this already pretty decent DVD. First, they need to make some 16:9 enhanced masters of all the trailers. Right now they're just 4:3 on this disc. It would be nice if they could include the original Dolby Stereo Digital trailer (and original mix) in an updated "Dolby Digital Story" piece. Movie clips are a more complicated matter. DTS has it easy in this regard since they can just grab some Universal Pictures stuff. Dolby isn't directly affiliated with any film studio so they would have a little more difficult time getting clearance. But it would seem plenty of movie studios would want to have some "demo" stuff of theirs on a Dolby demo DVD, wouldn't they?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: