Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Dvd (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Dvd
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2002 11:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things I like about DVD:

-I can watch it more than once without the picture getting all scratched and dirty.

-It's video. If video is good enough for Steven Sodaburger it's probably too good for me.

-The cases. Extra entertainment value is included in most DVD packaging in the form of spending countless hours peeling the stickers off of the top and bottoms.

-The animated menus. Why would anyone want to put the disc in and just press play? That's stupid. Unskippable animated menus are definitely the best thing ever to grace my television screen. It's a known fact that they add a great deal of value to any DVD.

-The copyright warnings. I was going to copy my DVDs for my friends, but since that copyright warning is unskippable I definitely won't now.

-The compression. Wow, everything I love is compressed! DVD's, MP3's, DLP. Compression is obviously the most important advancement in history. Nobody notices the details anyway. How can they when there are none to notice?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 12:28 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two more:

- Remixed soundtracks. Why yes, let's have a bunch of flunkies in the home video department replace half the foley sound effects, change the balance, and do fake 5.1 from an original mono mix. Who cares if the people who did the original sound mix won Academy Awards for Best Sound. It was done in the past, so it's primitive and needs to be replaced. It's almost as good as colorization!

- Cropped transfers. I just love it when I can't see all the way to the edges of the picture. There was nothing important there anyway! The Ben Hur DVD is a great example.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-31-2002 12:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another thing: DVD accomodates an ego-driven penchant to customize a DVD to make it more inconvenient --like eliminating all chapter stops! I just love popping in a David Lynch movie like "Mulholland Drive" and having to hold down the fast foward button for several minutes to get to that lucious girl-on-girl couch scene! The DVD would have been better with two chapter stops: opening title and girl-on-girl thang.

Seamless branching would have been even better on that disc. We could have had the option to skip that really creepy scene where the young blond girl has to kiss that old dude that played on "Medical Center" in the 1970's.

Another Lynch DVD, "The Straight Story" goes straight to play when inserting the disc. I wasn't expecting that. I'll usually go pee while the DVD is cycling through the opening menus. So I missed the first couple minutes.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-31-2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shame on the ben hur transfer. SHAME SHAME.

Not all remixes are bad. Some are quite good, using all of the original tracks and sounds, just remixed using the new 5.1 technology.

I will agree that I have heard some of the fake 5.1 remixes from mono sound. What the hell is that?

Dave

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 05:09 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DVD accomodates an ego-driven penchant to customize a DVD to make it more inconvenient --like eliminating all chapter stops!

Isn't the act of adding chapter stops to a DVD customizing a movie for the DVD experience?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know DVD isn't perfect, but it's the best medium there has ever been for watching movies at home. If you have a properly calibrated widescreen set that can take full advantage of anamorphic DVDs and do the inverse 3:2 telecine, your home viewing experience will be far greater than anything anyone ever dreamed of for video 10 years ago. Most DVD movies have an anamorphic transfer in the movies original aspect ratio, and in some cases, the DVD was my first opportunity to see a movie in its original aspect ratio (after seeing scope cropped to 1.85 in a couple of local theatres or seeing older movies on VHS or TV only). I know the presentation quality achievable with such a setup falls far short of a properly setup 35mm environment in a theatre, but my DVD setup will beat the Carmike Century Cinema 8 in Decatur most of the time (frequent focus, brightness, and alignment problems). A good DVD environment can beat a lousy theatre, and there are plenty of lousy theatres out there. I admit that I don't see as many movies in theatres as I used to.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 11:53 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've said in other threads, I don't own a DVD player. I've often been tempted to buy one, but the prices keep going down, (saw one with SRD & DTS out, and Component video for $79) and the features are getting better on the more expensive ones. So i've decided to wait until those come down, too. There aren't any DVD titles out that would make me run out and get one, either.

Speaking of the titles available, and this may not be true anymore, but releases were often reissued several times in better packaging, (remember DVDs in jewel cases?) a better disc, (no dual-layered discs early on) or a new director's cut or additional scenes, etc. Why didn't they do this on the original disc?!? Sometimes it's planned in advance, as is the case with Lord Of The Rings. In some cases, a new disc SHOULD be issued because the previous version is inferior. (There is still no widescreen version of Happy Gillmore available, or the Titanic DVD where the only real "extra" was the trailer.)

True that the quality of the image on a DVD surpasses VHS, and this would be especially noticable in my screening room on a large screen, and the fact that my projector has Component inputs makes me really want to get one. But I feel I have more control over VHS. I can fast-forward past the FBI Warning and all that nonsense. I don't have to deal with a menu. I can have my screen masked to the correct aspect ratio for the film and not have to worry that the menu is fullscreen and would be partially on my cieling while I search for the "Play Movie" option.

So I guess i'll wait until the format settles down and gets on a straight track. Oh, and when Warner Bros./New Line switch from that stupid cardboard packaging, and start listing the aspect ratio on the box. (instead of just "...the black bars at the top and bottom of your screen are normal" )

=TMP=

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter stops are a holdover from the Laserdisc format, and a matter of convenience for most viewers. If you want to check out a certain scene again, it is kind of nice to have a chapter stop to get you much closer to that point.

But if some filmmakers want to be totally puritanical about it, they'll also disable your pause button so you can't go take a pee break while the DVD is playing. They'll disable the fast forward and rewind buttons so you can't track back to figure out what some mumbling character just said.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 12:14 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick side note...

I noticed (according to Amazon.com) that the Neverending Story DVD will be released tomorrow, Sept. 3, and that it's 1.85:1

However, IMDB lists under "technical details" as 2.35:1, and a laserdisc release in 2.20:1. (I know, I know, IMDB is about as accurate as the National Enquierer.)

So what's the real aspect ratio on this film?
=TMP=

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 12:47 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was shown in 35mm "scope" in theatres.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"But I feel I have more control over VHS. I can fast-forward past the FBI Warning and all that nonsense. I don't have to deal with a menu. I can have my screen masked to the correct aspect ratio for the film and not have to worry that the menu is fullscreen and would be partially on my cieling while I search for the "Play Movie" option."

This is actually one of the main reasons why I dislike DVDs. Enough of the cutesy crap. When I press PLAY, just play the movie! Seeing that non-bypassable FBI logo just makes me want to copy the thing to spite them for making me sit through it. And what's with Universal? I watched a Universal DVD the other day and had to sit through a 60 second promo showing off their "fabulous" movies as well as the FBI logo before my player would give me control. Back when LaserDiscs were popular, I used to dupe them onto S-VHS just so I wouldn't have to deal with the intermission(s). I'm tempted to start doing that with DVDs. No FBI menu, no studio promos and no silly menus. Duping to D-VHS wouldn't lose a bit of quality either.

Also if the movie is 1.85 letterboxed, at least have the courtesy when designing the silly Flash-like menu screens to keep all options within that frame. Same for 2.39 letterbox.

Oh well, DVDs are overrated.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far the best aspect of DVD's is the DVD Audio format! Nothing else about DVD is very important or fascinating.
Mark

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 01:34 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I feel that having to wait for an FBI warning doesn't even come remotely close to tipping the scales againt DVD. Like Evan said, it's the best medium ever for home. Random access, not having to rewind the damn thing every time, better picture, clear pauses, clear frame-by-frame, and better sound are just a few reasons why DVD is the best.

Part of me wonders if some of you are against DVD's just because they're digital?

Finally, if it wasn't for DVD, I would've never gotten that good CD recording of the film version of Pink Floyd, The Wall.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest complain about DVDs is that they don't offer enough "Standard" or P&S discs. I have a regular 25 inch TV and the "wide" formats of DVDs put out just too small a picture. So when I see a film I want and it isn't offered in "standard" on disc I'll buy it in VHS. Both my players are new and I see no noticable difference in pic quality. I buy DVDs to save storage space. And all that added garbage is just annoying for me and doesn't impress me at all. I think this is just another case of "Techno-nerds" gone crazy. I even get annoyed at having to fast forward through trailers on tapes I've purchased (they're OK on rented tapes or in theatres).

Bob
The Old Showman

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 02:30 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know on those VHS tapes, you only have to fast forward through those trailers once if you just want to see the movie.
Just reset the counter to zero when you get to the feature, and at the end of the movie, put on the memory button and it will only rewing to the beginning of the movie.

I know its a matter of tast, but I think everything should be released to video whether it is VHS or DVD in its original apect ratio.
P&S means POS in my book

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: