Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Home Theatre -- Need A Receiver (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Home Theatre -- Need A Receiver
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-06-2002 11:12 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My doctor has asked me to set up his stereo system. He has a lot of devices that he isn't using because he does't have enough inputs on his receiver. He has to call somebody everytime he wants to use a different player. It's really sad.

Here's what he has...

CD Player
LaserDisk Player
DVD Player
VHS VCR
DSS dish system
Cable Box

He's a great doctor, but he's a "vidiot" so using a network of "A-B" switches will only confuse (and terrify) him. He really needs a receiver that can accept input from a CD player and about six or seven A/V devices. The amplifier could be separate or built-in. Doesn't really matter.

Just so you know...the room isn't that big...maybe 10' x 12' or so. He listens to a lot of opera.

As for the new system. Cost isn't so much an issue. He wants to be able to use the stuff without having to call someone and he wants it to sound great.

I'll impose a budget of $1,200 on the receiver.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-06-2002 11:24 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How 'bout these?

Denon AVR-3802

Outlaw 1050

Both appear to be favorably reviewed "best bang for the buck" receivers. I'm considering both of these for my school's anime club AV equipment package.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 12:12 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Denon 3802 is an excellent choice. I have the earlier model (3801) and am not disappopinted. Composite, S AND component outputs. However, the composite outputs can only send out sources imported by composite, etc. And you can program each input to the audio format of your choice.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-07-2002 01:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denon units are very nice and offer well equipped models for every price bracket. My father has a Denon 4802 unit, which is way cool but up well above that $1200 price limit. Of course, I think most doctors make a ton of money so why not put him in a headlock and make him pony up $4200 for a top-of-the-line Denon 5803 with that neato THX Ultra2 badge on it?

Some of Yamaha's newer receivers are also pretty good. I had been dogging them on recommendations since they were dragging their feet on the incorporation of all DTS-ES modes. And Pioneer deserved some of the slams they got on the very misleading product literature for a number of their previous receiver offerings. Now they're finally changing.

Denon has been way ahead, particularly in being there before anyone else in terms of DTS-ES discrete capable receivers. Lots of brands are now offering full support of Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, but Denon was the first one out there with something well built and reasonably affordable in the 3800 series.

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-07-2002 04:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys!

I knew that Denon was going to figure into the equation -- but I've been out of home theatre for so long -- I didn't know which model(s) to look at.

Also...there are no dealers for quality home theatre products here...so I haven't had the opportunity to do any window-shopping lately. (Oh, poor me!)

Many thanks (again) for your quick responses.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 09:52 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is the Denon 4802, I have this one & It is great....as for doctors.....when I use to do home theatre systems I would be nickel & dime by doctors, cut corners from the original design ect....but when my ex wife would call his office (or any MD office) for a question about our daughter being sick ect...we would get a bill for $15.00 for the phone call advise....try this to a Doctor on his questions about his home theatre system....you never get paid....I once had a Doctor I did not like & installed his theatre system (he did sent me a bill for his phone service advise) I did this to him on advise on a CD player, he called me up said he was not going to do business with me anymore & was not going to pay the bill I sent him for my phone service...figure that one....I only did that to piss him off, I didn't need his business anyway, he was a pain in the rump !! Of course I also changed doctors when I moved to the next near by city !!!

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-07-2002 10:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don:

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with doctors. This particular doctor is a personal friend of mine. I won't be billing him for my services and, likewise, he rarely bills me for his. I have warned him that he will have to pay for follow-up calls that arise out of his messing with the wiring or the EQ (as he's been known to do).

Thanks for recommending a product. I am finding links to all of them and he's already looked the Denon 3802 and the Outlaw. So far, we're both leaning towards something from Denon's line.

I'd never heard of Outlaw before it was mentioned here. Anyone want to weigh in with a "yea" or a "nay" on their products?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-07-2002 11:57 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Outlaw is relatively new and they only market and sell on-line. Don't know much about them except for what I've read on the various home theater sites out there. The reviews and user comments have been quite favorable. Their 950 prepro and separate 770 power amp look pretty good too. The power amp especially--7x200W for $1800 US. Certainly not mil-spec build quality at that price but probably fine for our 5-hours-a-week application. I was going to go with that combination for the club system but am now looking at receivers before making the final decision.

Paul
Head Vidiot & AV Otaku
CCSN Meijin Kenryoku Anime Club
Las Vegas, NV and SoCal USA

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-08-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reported on another topic post about my Marantz Dolby Digital outboard decoder die on me a few weeks ago and I had considered getting a Onkyo receiver as a replacement I also got a few response from some of you who have urged me to go with the Denon line instead of the Onkyo. I did some further checking and have come to the conclusion that the Denon AVR 3802 is the receiver for me instead of the Onkyo. Thanks guys for stearing me in the right direction.

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-08-2002 01:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have an answer for you Manny, but I do have another similar question that since it's so close to what you are asking I'll just ask on this same thread.

TO ALL YOU HOME THEATER EXPERTS...

I need an outboard Dolby Digital decoder. (It would be nice if it had dts too, but it isn't an absolute requirement.) It does not have to decode Dolby Digital Laserdiscs, but it's fine if it does. This will be used with DVD and D-VHS. This decoder needs to be able to decode Pro-Logic as well. The decoder MUST have it's own built in delay for all channels. I am not talking about surround speaker delay, I am talking about an overall delay of the entire sound. This is for use alongside a HTPC, which delays the video several frames. I need a decoder that will decode and then delay the audio's output to match the video. For this purpose I am not needing anything mega-expensive. Let's put a $500 cap on it.

Alternatively, if I absolutely HAVE to buy a receiver to get this, can anyone recommend a receiver with a quality decoder in it? Bear in mind the amplifier and switcher part of this will never be used, so that doesn't matter.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2002 03:32 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

All home Dolby Digital decoders decode ProLogic as well. I haven't heard of any manufacturer having delays for all channels, but you might want to check out Lexicon's line of processors. But that's well above the $500 mark.

As for receivers, Yamaha all the way.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-08-2002 03:39 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all outboard decoders decode Pro Logic. At least they didn't used to. As for a recommendation these days, good luck. I haven't seen one in quite awhile.

More than you need, but interesting none the less...

The Lexicon MC-1: Music and Cinema Processor has a delay of up to 60 milliseconds on all channels. It also decodes 7.1 in both DD & DTS. I have no idea what it's worth (it does a lot so it's probably not cheap) but you could contact a local dealer (listed on site), who knows...
http://www.lexicon.com/mc1/index.asp

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2002 08:57 AM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I have an Onkyo 696, and it is doing a great job for me. If you go online you can get the 595 for well under the 500 figure. It also has the mutichannel input option intended for the new CD and DVD audio formats. This has proved useful in the home theater. I've got my CP-50 patched through there and it sounds fine.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-09-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are outboard Dolby Digital and DD/DTS decoders even being made anymore? I haven't seen any at all in years. Sony and Technics both used to have a couple decent outboard DD/DTS decoders, but I am sure they are discontinued. ADA and MSB had the first outboard DTS decoders on the market years ago when DTS was only available via laserdisc for home theater. But I have no idea if they still offer such products.

With prices of DD/DTS receivers dropping to prices under even $150, it is easy to see why outboard decoders have pretty much disappeared on the lower end of the market.

Now, if you are looking for something in the high-end like a "surround controller" then companies like Meridian, TAG McLaren, Parasound and many others can hook you up for one of those packages made of up all separate components.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 12:22 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad,
I just looked over the manual for a Yamaha RX-V730. It can delay the center speaker up to 5ms and the rear center speaker up to 30ms. It decodes EX and ES. It also has line outs for all of the channels. I'm not sure what we pay for this, but I'd guess it's in your price range.

Hope this helps,
Rick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: