Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » My Dolby Digital outboard decoder just died!

Author Topic: My Dolby Digital outboard decoder just died!
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-13-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just before AC-3, the home version of SRD was introduced, I purchased a well rounded Adcom sound system consisting of a GTP 600 rceciver, a GFA 2535 and GFA 545 II power amplifiers to enjoy my laserdiscs and tapes in Dolby Pro Logic sound. When AC-3 hardware became available, it was just a simple matter to add a Marantz DP-870 outboard decoder and I was happy as a lark enjoying 5.1 digital sound in my home theatre. When the home version of DTS became available, I had to have that too and added a Millienium 246 DTS outboard decoder to my system and now felt I had everthing I need to enjoy discreet audio from DVDs and laserdiscs. Everything was fine until last week when my Marantz outboard decoder died. Since everything except the DTS is routed through the Marantz and the unit is not working, I cannot even get prologic sound. anymore and now listen to the audio from DVDs from the television speaker. Since my DTS decoder is working, I can sill enjoy movies encoded with that digital sound format.

I am now faced with a decision to scrap my entire sound system and buy a receiver that will give me all the sound process including full Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, discreet six channel DTS ES and Dolby Prologic 2 or fix the Marantz decoder. I am leaning towards scrapping the Adcom system and outboard decoders and pick up a Onkyo TX SR700 that has all of the above mentioned features. It is a very powerful receiver that will deliver 100 wats per each channel. Tom, my audio technician who is also one of Honolulu's Onkyo dealers told me not to discard my Adcom amps because I could use one of them to power the two rear speakers if I want Dolby EX and DTS ES sound the other amp can power my two surrond speakers and by doing that, I will be able to get better sound quality because of the extra power.
I have heard only good things about the Onkyo receiver and was wondering if anyone has the unit or know someone that does. If so, how good is it?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Richard Miller
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for Richard Miller   Email Richard Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many praises have been said for OPnkyo recievers in general. I don't normally listen to people though, just sound quality (and video). I've sat through many sound demos (my friend works in high end home theater) and I find the sound of Denon recievers to be a little cleaner at all volumes. I compared a equally priced Onkyo to a Denon a while back and I am now the Proud owner of the Denon. I guess it's all about sound though, and your ears tell it the best in you opinion.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-13-2002 11:54 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before DVD players were available you could only get AC-3 digital from laserdisks. Your older unit was already equiped with the appropriate AC-3 demodulated imput for the digital source off of the laserdisk player. When you go to purchase the new equipment you need to tell the dealer that you have a laserdisk player that you want to use for dolby digital playback. The new equipment must have a demodulator input on it or you will have to purchase a seperate demodulator as a go between. The player plugs into the demodulator then outputs to the coaxial or optical digital imput. I purchased a Yamaha demodulator about 4 years ago for $100.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-14-2002 12:24 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,

Yes, I have read that almost all of the new receivers does not have
the AC-3 RF input so I can play AC-3 laserdiscs. I do not consider it to be a major problem because I have already sold most of my AC-3 lasersdiscs and replaced them with the DVD version with 5.1 sound. As long as I can still play my sizable DTS laserdisc collection, I will have no problen with the omission of the RF input on the receiver.

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I am biased more towards high end audio gear I would have to say that I'd stay away from receivers in general in the future. I have a Sony Dolby Digital receiver in my TV system and I hate the thing. Is there some problem in getting the Marantz decoder repaired? That seems the more logical way to go. Adcom is a sort of inbetween high end line and far better than the Onkyo stuff. I think you'd be taking a step backwards!
Mark @ Claco

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-14-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Perry Sun at the MSP forum once told me the same thing you did and it is very good advice. The current situation is however very complicated because of personal reasons, I no longer do any trading with the only person I know that is authorized to repair Marantz electronic products in Honolulu.

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2002 10:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, Just box it up and send it elsewhere.....or buy a new decoder. Why waste $$ where its not needed, plus you'll be taking a giant step backwards going with any receiver!
Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-15-2002 02:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the amount of dollars available are any factor, I might recommend getting a Denon RECEIVER (oh my god, he suggested something besides separates --gasp!!). I agree with the general standpoint that it is better to buy a separate surround controller pre-amp and have external amplifiers do the job. But unless you are in a position to spend in the cost-is-no-object profane stratosphere, you are going to be better off buying a reciever. IMHO, Denon offers the best of the bunch as far as integrated appliances go. Their 4802 unit is one of the best buys in home theater. If you can afford the 5803 model, you will not be dissapointed.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 09:19 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Denon 4802, I highly recommend this system, with the added subwoofer, this system rattles my house when crank to max without any distortion, the sound is clear at that volume & no clipping !! I was looking toward the top of the line Onkyo but it was a little pricey, I chosed the Denon 4802 & love it !! My speakers for L-C-R is Monitor Audio Gold Series (made in England), (4) Bose 301 for Surrounds, (2) RCA 12" with a built-in 200-watts amp for subwoofer...The sound is in your chest...

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 03:20 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been pretty happy with my Yamaha RX-V800. Bought it back in January and the sound from it never ceases to let me down. All I need now is a more powerful subwoofer.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-19-2002 11:54 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading all of the positive comments most of you expressed about Denon receivers, I cancelled my Onkyo order and obtained a Denon AVR 3802. The Denon's instruction manual is rather confusing but I have managed to figure how to use the receiver to play back AC-3 soundtracks. Although a rear speaker is connected, the on screen menu tells me that it is not. There is a possibility, I might have incorrectly connected the speaker to another input jack on the receiver. I have been very busy with work lately and have not had the opportunity to play with the receiver. I might have a little more time next week and I hope to have the receiver working perfectly at that time. What I heard so far from the sound powered by the new receiver is very impressive and is just as good or even better than the sound quality I was getting from my Adcom sound system consisting of a receiver and two powered amps.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: