Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVDs with a limited time release is not a good idea

Author Topic: DVDs with a limited time release is not a good idea
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Losing a lot of favorite DVds from theft a few weeks ago was a very traumatic experience but not being able to replace them because they have gone out of print or were put into moratorium makes the situation even worse. Because my DVD movies were all grouped together by the studio that released them, almost all of my discs from Fox, MGM, half of my Disney collection and Warner Brothers are gone. Out of 150 fifty title that was snatched, I am planning to replace only fifty but many of the ones I want are no longer available including a lot of Disney animated films such as "LADY & THE TRAMP", "PINOCCHIO", "101 DALMATIONS (Live and animated), "MELODY TIME","A BUGS LIFE", "TARZAN" and "SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARF". I lucked out with "SNOW WHITE" when I found a copy at a Sam Goody store in Honolulu last week and "A BUGS LIFE" will be on store shelves again in a few months so that is not too bad. Among many precious Fox DVDs I lost were the out of print "THE TOWERING INFERNO' and the special Five Star two disc editions including "PATTON", "THE ABYSS", "THE SOUND OF MUSIC" and "INDEPENDENCE DAY". I was able to get another copy of the two disc version of "THE SOUND OF MUSIC" because it was part of the Rodgers & Hammerstein collection which is still available. The set also included "THE KING & I", OKLAHOMA", STATE FAIR", "CAROUSEL" and "SOUTH PACIFIC" that were also stolen and needed to be replaced. I will aso get the two disc set of "PATTON" later this week along with "TORA!TORA!TORA!", "THE LONGEST DAY" and "THE THIN RED LINE" which were also stolen when I receive my Fox WW2 collection from one of my local retailer. I will unfortunately have to settle for the single disc editions of "THE ABYSS" and "INDEPENDENCE DAY". [Frown]

I honestly feel that once a movie is released on DVD and there is a a demand for the titles from people who are only now collecting them after getting a player or from people like me who have lost a copy from theft and need to replace it, the studios should alway make them available and not play that childish game of putting them back in the vault like Disney does and Steven Spielberg has with "ET" or Fox with their single disc "movie only editions after they had released a lavish two disc collection which is no loner available.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Doug Willming
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Doug Willming   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Willming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an idea, Claude, but there's always Ebay. I just checked on a whim and somebody has the ID4 2-disc set for 19.95, so it's not like it's a total rip.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-27-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, check out some used record stores. Many of them also sell DVDs and videotapes, particularly out-of-print or "hard-to-find" items. Even if they don't have what you want, they might know of another store that might.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Seek and Ye Shall Find" and that is exactly what I did this afternoon at my local Borders store. I could not believe it when I was able to find the two disc edition of "INDEPENDENCE DAY" for $23.95 and "TARZAN" for $36.95. They even had a copy of "SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARF" which I do not need anymore. I am going to visit two other Borders store in the city either tomorrow or Wednesday and see what they have. The two stores in the city are frequented by more die hard video customers and the likelihood of finding anything I want is not good but I will try anyway. Now that I have found a two disc "ID4" and "TARZAN", All I want now is the two disc set of "THE ABYSS" and if I look hard enough, I might be able to find it.

-Claude

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Claude, I have found "Pawn Shops" have a pretty good selection of used and sometimes new DVD,s.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-27-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had some good luck with pawn shops and I'm about to give eBay a try.

I don't like the idea of "limited-time releases" because it's nothing more than a way of forcing people to buy DVDs on somebody else's terms. I also wish they'd let up on all the freakin' special editions, ultimate editions, collector's editions and super-duper-deluxe-better-buy-it-one-more-time editions.

How many copies of EVIL DEAD does a guy need?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Hunter wrote: "Also Claude, I have found "Pawn Shops" have a pretty good selection of used and sometimes new DVD,s."

You might even find the exact same DVDs that were stolen from you! [Roll Eyes]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 10:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I've always wondered about...why does the video industry limit availability like that?

I work days in a store that sells CDs and etc. We can also order videos and DVDs. Seems like music CDs stay in print for years and years, whereas vids tend to go out of print within months. I can sort of understand Disney's thing, where they make the demand go up by withholding titles from the market, but on typical mainstream titles like "Towering Inferno" it doesn't make much sense.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry. Soon they'll run out of extra features to add, and we'll be left with the, "Almost-Special-But-Not-Quite-Edition" with over 6 hours of commentary from the Key Grip, and 10 minutes of never-before-seen footage from the camera film that was dropped and became exposed to the sun. [Cool]

=TMP=

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Point John [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: