Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Where are the classic films on DVD?

Author Topic: Where are the classic films on DVD?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 11:55 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know there are many classic films already released on DVD such as "GONE WITH THE WIND", "CASABLANCA", "CITIZEN KANE" and the "WIZARD OF OZ to name a few but there are still hundreds of film that would most likely never get released because of the tremendous backlog. Although laser discs were expensive, there were many titles mostly from MGM that was released in that format that has not come out on DVD that I would like to have including "MRS. MINNIVER", "THE GOOD EARTH", "MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS", "HIT THE DECK", "THE THREE MUSKETEERS", "KISS ME KATE", GOODBYE MR. CHIPS" (Original and remake), "MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY" (Original and Remake" to name a very few. "KING KONG" and "THE original "THE THING" are two others I would like to have. All of the studios including Fox, Columbia and Warner Brothers all have many notable cassics in their vaults that should be released. Fox recently has been doing a good job by bringing out some of their cassics such as "HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY' and more are on the way but the pace they are doing it is much too slow.THe reason why the release on to DVD is slow for classic films is the tremendous amount of prep time needed to record commentary and gather as much extra material because DVD consumers expect and demand them. Many great titles already have very good video masters that were prepared for laserdiscs that could easily be used for DVDs. I agree, they are analogue transfers and would not measure up to the digital work done to the classics that has already been released on DVD but I would still love to have them.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 01:34 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although laser discs were expensive, there were many titles mostly from MGM that was released in that format that has not come out on DVD that I would like to have including "MRS. MINNIVER", "THE GOOD EARTH", "MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS", "HIT THE DECK", "THE THREE MUSKETEERS", "KISS ME KATE", GOODBYE MR. CHIPS" (Original and remake), "MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY" (Original and Remake" to name a very few.
Claude,
Kiss Me Kate is being released April 22 by Warner Home Video. Specs: Dolby Digital 5.1...1.33:1...$19.98...

Kara J. McVay
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Kara J. McVay   Author's Homepage   Email Kara J. McVay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am playing "Meet Me In St. Louis" for my Spring Film Festival. I am very excited, because I have not had the chance to see it. Minnelli was born and raised in Delaware,Ohio, where my theatre is, cool connection.

Cool side note, I now have 50 posts and can see the preview pictures [beer]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2003 09:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Kara, to get into the first level Sneak Preview section you have to have 50+ posts and a picture, of which you do. However you won't be able to get into that section until the update script is ran, which I do every few days. I'll make a note to run it tonight.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-29-2003 09:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Brad, please do. That way I can finally read the fabulous new Strong platter review. I bet it's right on the money, too!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael for the "KISS ME KATE" heads up. I did get to see this movie in a theatre when it first came out but unfortunately not in the original dual projection 3-D. From what I have neen told, there is a kind of neat 3-D system on DVD that actually works and if it is true, I think it would be so cool to see this movie in that process.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: