Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Screen shot of DVD - How??

Author Topic: Screen shot of DVD - How??
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I try to use the ALT-prt screen and paste in an application, all I get is the actual player and not the image contained. How is this done?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-29-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the app you are using to play the DVD. If you are using Power DVD (which you should be) then there is a little icon of a camera or something similar and it will save the current frame as a BMP file.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-29-2003 11:12 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have Medion Power DVD and the screen shot feature works very well. You can also zoom in as well as pan and scan the image. I am not sure if other DVD players have that too. Another feature I like is that it remembers where you stop a DVD and asks you if you want to continue from there when you play it the next time.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 07:27 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some players especially but not limited to those with hardware decoder cards display a neutral colour and then overlay the video (like blue screen chroma key), this occurs with my DVD-ROM Set-up (True Blue Quasar - Hollywood Plus decoder) using Real Magic Player. So a Print Screen will only show the skin/interface of the player and the neutral colour. As Joe Mentioned you can always use the inbuilt frame capture to bitmap – however the player I use detects copyright and greys out/ disables the function.

What player are you using?

As a last result if your player does have a capture function or does not allow you to use it for copyright reasons you *could* use one of the (illegal) De-CSS programs (CSS = Content Scrambling System) to rip a frame of the DVD if you have the chapter and time code (or the whole thing if your a pirate [Wink] ).
I do not condone the use of de-CSS programs, I do acknowledge their existence

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 08:25 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the WINDVD software player that came with my Dell computer, and of course the Interactual software player that downloads and boots with DVD's prepared with DVD-ROMS. Neither seems to have this capture mode. But thanks for the sugestions.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-30-2003 08:46 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility is to use HyperSnap DX. It will capture screen content exactly as you see it and can also handle DirectX graphics as seen in games. It is often used as a tool by computer magazines to prepare screenshots. The programme is available as shareware. I think the only restriction of the test version is that there is a small HyperSnap logo in the upper left corner which doesn`t matter for video screenshots as it is on the masking.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-30-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version of WinDVD that comes bundled with Dell computer systems doesn't have screen shot capability.

WinDVD also apparently doesn't have the capability to output S/PDIF data out a SB Live! sound card port. That's kind of a pisser if you spend a couple hundred bucks on one of those Altec Lansing ADA-885 Dolby Digital computer speaker systems.

I got a copy of PowerDVD from Cyberlink (www.gocyberlink.com) and it worked for getting screen shots. But it only sporadically works for feeding S/PDIF data out the port. I guess I may just need to get a different sound card. Maybe then I can dependably get 5.1 audio out of some .VOB files of all the Dolby Digital and THX theatrical trailers I downloaded a couple years back from some French multimedia site.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out the powerdvd player, but am currently frozen in my software budget. The only reason I wanted the screenshot is our department secretary retired two years ago and acted in MINORITY REPORT and I wanted to e-mail her a shot of her scene. (she actually retired to an apartment in Hollywood after selling her house and has appeared in a number of films). Gutsy and very fun lady!)

As for me, I'm about ready to go the MAC route this summer,k one reason why I'm putting the breaks on any software at this time. but thanks for all the suggestions [Smile]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-30-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WinDVD supports Digital 5.1 out on the S/PDIF port. The output current on the SB Live! is kind of low so you need to use a good cable. I've found it works well with one of those gold plated headphone -> RCA Y-cables that you can buy at Rat Shack.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-30-2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The retired secretary in "Minority Report" wouldn't happen to be this lady would it?

-

I enjoy getting frame grabs from movies. It's kind of fun for studying shot composition. The frame grabs also make for good reference material in making caricatures. This is one of my favorite camera shots from "Minority Report.":

-

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 12:53 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That second pic is 'THE shot from Minority Report. kudos

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: