Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Today I rented the Episode 1 DVD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Today I rented the Episode 1 DVD
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-29-2003 06:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a lot of people waiting in the line at the counter behind me. They could all see that I rented "Episode 1". One of the most embarassing moments of my life. They were all giving me queer looks. But my therapist prescribed it to me. He said I would never get over the shock of watching it almost 4 years ago if I didn`t confront the demons that have haunted me since then (especially Mr Binks). Maybe listening to the audio commentaries will help me understand what the hell they were thinking when they made it.
Can you get a neurogenic shock from watching this a second time? This may be my last post on this forum. Farewell.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-29-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First my condolences.

Second, what the hell were you thinking?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[There were a lot of people waiting in the line at the counter behind me. They could all see that I rented "Episode 1". One of the most embarassing moments of my life. They were all giving me queer looks. But my therapist prescribed it to me. He said I would never get over the shock of watching it almost 4 years ago if I didn`t confront the demons that have haunted me since then (especially Mr Binks). Maybe listening to the audio commentaries will help me understand what the hell they were thinking when they made it.
Can you get a neurogenic shock from watching this a second time? This may be my last post on this forum. Farewell.

---Franz Kafka, "Multiplex Madness"

Michael,
This is a wonderful beginning! More, More!!
Please continue this saga...
--Gerard

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-29-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I BOUGHT the damn thing! [Eek!] I have to say the the soundtrack does show off my home surround-sound system very well. [Cool]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been nice knowing you Michael. Jar Jar in Ep1 should only be reserved for the most severe punishment to a criminal.

A word of advice before you put the DVD into the player though, call your attorney and have him sue for insanity if you don't make contact back within 48 hours. [Wink]

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A similar thing happened to me last Friday nite when I rented the Episode IV DVD (The New Hope) I got the same weird looks from some people behind me in line, in fact they were even laughing out loud. What gives, .......do I have a sign on my back that says, "I'm a Star Wars nerd" ?"

It was very embarassing, I am glad I was not with my kids.

I am never going to rent DVD's ever again at "Little Ray's House of DVD's" . [Confused]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 02:13 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A similar thing happened to me last Friday nite when I rented the Episode IV DVD (The New Hope)
You rented the Episode IV DVD??? That's a neat trick!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-30-2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I woke up the next morning it felt as if I had been in a bad dream for ages. But I survived. Yet the worst was still to come. When I returned the DVD the girl at the counter gave me this "dirty old man" look. Somebody behind me said "why does nobody protect our children from people like you". That was more than I could take. My hand reached for the light saber hidden under my anorak. But then I heard a voice that said "anger leads you to the dark side" and fled from the scene.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You rented the Episode IV DVD??? That's a neat trick!
Maybe a pirated copy from China? [Roll Eyes]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Episode IV is actually the original "STAR WARS" that started all this madness.

-Claude

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like yeah... Where can I get my Episode IV DVD at?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did a search on EBAY for 'Star Wars DVD' and returned 450 results. Some are for the newer versions, but there are definately some original versions there. A couple refer to them having 'removable' subtitles, so I guess we are talking Asian copies here.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-30-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, Star Wars Episodes IV, V, and VI, as you probably know, have not been released 'officially' on DVD. I'm sure that's what John was referring to. [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. AFAIK, no "officially authorized" DVDs yet. But I wouldn't be surprised to find pirated ones available, especially in the far east:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0076759

Always puzzled me why George Lucas, proponent of digital presentation, has held back DVD release of the Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes IV, V, VI) [Roll Eyes]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-30-2003 08:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he said that he would wait with the DVD editions of the original movies until after Episode 3 is finished. He doesn`t have enough time to prepare the commentary and bonus material as thouroughly as he wants to right now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: