Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD's May Self Destruct (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DVD's May Self Destruct
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 02:27 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD's may self destruct, says Australian Report.
Australian investigators have discovered an increasing number
of deteriorating DVD products. This is from todays IMDB, it was
reported in Saturdays Sydney Morning Herald.

http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/#3

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-03-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it would happen sooner or later. However I do question the whole "3 rentals" thing.

Ya want it to keep for the rest of your life? Go film! [Cool]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy of "THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT" developed a 'Rot' and had to be replaced. Many others have also had the same problem with this title as well as others. I have found DVD's to be much better than Lasrdiscs regarding the degradation of the encoded image due to oxidation or other causes. I once had to replace a lot of laserdiscs that were pressed by 3M and that was no fun.

-Claude

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the discs have a delamination problem causing "DVD rot", I don't see how the rental issue has anything to do with anything. If a disc is going to delaminate, it will do it just sitting on a shelf, whether it's the store's shelf or in someone's home.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple rules for long term storage are COOL, DRY, and VENTED.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical/storage1.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical/molecular.shtml

http://www.rit.edu/~661www1/sub_pages/8page20.htm

Check out SMPTE Recommended Practice RP131:

SMPTE Recommended Practice RP131

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we can assume this would effect Playstation 2 games. They use a DVD format.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-03-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I already lost two of them to DVD rot. I have lost one CD-R to rot, also.

I'll almost bet DVD and CD - CDR rot was engineered into the product.

Doug Willming
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Doug Willming   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Willming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard other stories about DVD rot. So far, it doesn't seem to be as predominate as Laser rot, but it's still a young format so, who knows. I've probably got 150-200 laserdiscs (many of which I paid $40 or more for pre-DVD, and not nearly as many cool extras, grrrr...). Most of them still look fine. As a matter of fact, I've got some that I think look better than DVD, but it makes me mad when I stick one in after seeing it a year or two ago and finding it unwatchable with rot.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the early days of CD's they had to change the ink formula because it was eating into the layer of information below it causing the CD's to be unplayable.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-03-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting, but not really surprising.

It's sad that many of the newer formats don't seem to have the shelf life of the formats that they are intended to replace. I have some 40+ -year-old LPs that play perfectly and I have some 16mm Kodachrome home movies shot in the 1940s by my grandfather which look great (no vinegar!). I don't think that it is too much to ask of the designers and producers of newer audio and video formats that they be playable in 50 years.

Part of the problem is the failure mode of each format: a scratched CD is usually completely unplayable, while a scratched record or film print just sounds and/or looks bad.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think when I get a few thousand digital stills saved up I'll make a deal with one of my clients who own the only film recorder in town and have them do a "film out" onto color negative (which fades but slowly and predictably) or really get anal and have them make B&W seps which should last almost forever.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-03-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think it is a bunch of crap. Have you ever heard of a hard drive disk rotting? Ever hear of a mini-disk rotting? One of the oldest DVD's I have is in perfect condition. Some of the newer ones are falling apart. A quick check of my older Lazer disks seem to be in perfect shape, yet.

So why are the "late model" DVD's rotting when some of the older ones are still in perfect shape?

I have an old CDROM by Microsoft that is from 1994. It is in perfect shape! I have the old CorelDraw 3.0 that is still in perfect shape! I have an old version of Strong International's Motion Picture Equipment Instruction Manuals and Parts lists of September 1998. Outside of a few minor scratches, it is in perfect shape. I have an old CDROM musical sound track of "The Lost Boys" (the movie) and it is still in perrfect shape.

To make a long story short, the technology is in place and has been used. That's why I think that early failures in the newer CDROM's and DVD's have been engineered in the disks. Either that, or some manufactures just have piss poor manufacturing and quality control techniques.

Hmmmmm........

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-03-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Crappy manufacturing. Paul hit the nail on the head. There are several manufacturers of DVD-R discs out there that even though you pay a ridiculously low amount of money for, you have to throw half of them away when your burner won't write to them. (Glass mastered discs being a completely different technology, but the analogy is the same.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to loose any sort of silver disk. I have so many formats too, and alot of my CD's date back to when CD's first came out!! With the increase in DVD production it doesn't surprise me that there will be impending troubles. Most of you that ayve had problems seem to live in more humid areas though. Out here in Utah not much happens to anything as far as rot,rust, mold, or deterioration.
Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there IS a strain of bacteria (or mold) that thrives on the organic material that the ink CD-Rs, CD-RWs and DVD-Rs are made out of. It gets in through the edge of the disk between the layers and eats it way through the "sandwich until there's nothing left.

With "pressed" disks, that shouldn't be a problem because there shouldn't be any organic material. The reflective layer SHOULD be made out of vapor-deposited aluminum.

The only thing I can think of is that they aren't pressing the layers together long, hard and hot enough to cause them to bond.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: