Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Back to the Future Trilogy buyers beware. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Back to the Future Trilogy buyers beware.
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:42 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the second and third movies were misframed during the transfer process to DVD and the picture is skewed too much to the top of the frame. Universal is offering a trade in for the defective disks in February.

"Thank you for your email. Universal Studios will exchange Back to the Future parts 2 and 3 for copies with the updated framing in late February 2003. You may send the DVDs back now or wait until February. Please send Back to the Future disks 2 and 3, without the case, and a letter with the following information: Name, Full Mailing Address, Daytime Phone Number, Reason for Return and Return Address. Send to:

Back to the Future DVD Returns
PO Box 224468
Dallas, Texas 75260”

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See example frames below.

LaserDisc version:
 -

DVD Trilogy version:
 -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-24-2002 12:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's TERRIBLE! What kind of moron transferred that to video and did not notice such huge composition errors? Notice that even a chunk off of the left side has been cropped off. Mine as well just buy the pan and scan and mask the top and bottom of the image off.

Of course even the LaserDisc doesn't look like a proper 1.85 letterbox. Looks to me like it is showing too much at the top and bottom, although at least it appears to be properly centered (assuming just a bit more was cropped off.)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall back in the various Laserdisc rags that the BTTF series in full-screen was not pan and scan but actually just full frame. That on inspection of the two versions, all that was different was the additional height offered.

Steve

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-24-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a very lengthy thread over on Home Theatre Forum about this. Looks like the framing error affects most of II and III, but not I.

A German web site here has numerous comparisons of images from the full-screen, letterboxed laserdisc, and "widescreen" DVD versions.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-24-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The misframing error is pretty ridiculous considering how the "Back to the Future" series is such a large "tentpole" in the Universal Studios movie library. It is also ridiculous considering that people have been wanting this title on DVD since the format's commercial rollout in 1997. They've had five years to get the job done right.

One thing I suspect is the video transferring system defaults to having the matte locked up at the top of the frame. Someone thinking on auto-pilot just hit a button without checking any settings and fobbed off the whole thing.

Sure, "Back to the Future" has been held up in litigation and other nonsense (from Steven Spielberg's initial boycott of DVD to Universal mulling the thought of doing everything on pay-per-view DiVX discs). Still, one would think after all this time the studio would be able to deliver the product in proper condition.

I'm just thankful the original "Back to the Future" installment was not screwed up by misframing like the two sequel discs. Really, I would have far preferred to be able to just buy the first movie and leave the other two on the shelves. I'll send my 2nd and 3rd discs in for the exchange. But I can't say I'll miss them a whole lot while they're gone.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 07:04 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The really pathetic thing is that Universal Home video put out the same version in different regions of the world much earlier, and KNEW about the screw-up well before the R1 discs were released. At least they are willing to exchange them, but, GEEZ!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 01:53 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A German web site here has numerous comparisons of images from the full-screen, letterboxed laserdisc, and "widescreen" DVD versions.

The English translation page from the link on that page is excellent!

'The R1-DVDs of "bake tons of The Future" in the USA are already in both formats available. '

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 04:21 AM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this really sucks. I just bought my in-laws a DVD player and seeing as how they love the trilogy I bought them this collection. [Mad] Not to mention when my wife and I announced our marriage her father wasn't too thrilled so any mistake I make is huge from my point of view. Although they seemed thrilled just to have the player so I guess I'm lucky.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 12:13 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, thank you very much, I was planning on buying it tomorrow. I had gone today to purchase american beauty, american psycho, and falling down, and decided to wait til tomorow to buy thr trilogy.......

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 03:44 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
which version of American Psycho did you get unrated or the R version?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 01:21 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard SMPTE 96M specifies the "Scanned Image Area, 35- and 16-mm Motion Picture Film", including all the common aspect ratios, including full screen, letterbox, and sidebar transfers.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased the triology on the day it was released and thought nothing of it until I read reports on some DVD forums that Part 2 and 3 was not correctly presented. I have not watched any of the movies yet but did check scenes from the two movies and yes, the framing is rather tight and I did not like it. Universal has offered to exchange the bad discs with the corrected versions in late February and I do intend to take advantage of their offer.

-Claude

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I seem to recall back in the various Laserdisc rags that the BTTF series in full-screen was not pan and scan but actually just full frame. That on inspection of the two versions, all that was different was the additional height offered.
In most shots, that was the case. The visual effects shots, however, were filmed and composited in "widescreen" and cut into the negative as a hard-matted image. Those shots by necessity would be reframed (panned-and-scanned) for any fullscreen video versions.

quote:
Of course even the LaserDisc doesn't look like a proper 1.85 letterbox.
The laserdisc versions were transferred at about a 1.75:1 ratio, revealing a slight bit of "extraneous" imagery above and below what would be seen in a proper 1.85:1 presentation.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-27-2002 06:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a lot of shots in BTTF Part II which used the VistaGlide motion control camera system. Pretty much any shot in the film featuring two of the same actor in the same shot was filmed on VistaVision stock. And ILM used VistaVision 8/35 cameras for the visual effects plates.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: