Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Looking for a post about DVD sync player

Author Topic: Looking for a post about DVD sync player
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I actually saw this post here, but I can't find it in the search....maybe someone recalls it. The discussion came around to syncing up projectors to external sources. Someone posted a a link to a DVD player that could accept a frame pulse from a projector and that would resolve to a DVD (or, I think, a CD)and keep them locked. For the life of me I can't recall anything else about it. Anyone else remember this, or was I dreaming? Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-06-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably the thread (and close to the post) you are thinking about:

Basic question about interlocking

I don't recal a DVD player that accepted any sort of timecode though. Maybe a DVD player designed for broadcast use... but I've never seen a non-tape adjustable / lockable rate player.

Now that I think of it, adjusting the frame rate on the fly with conventional DVD playback circuitry would be a real pain. Converting 24 to 30 fps frame rates would be no problem, but adjusting the processors clock frequency to affect the frame rate would likely crash (lock up) the processor.

You'd have better luck pulling a time code from the DVD player and adjusting the projector's speed on the fly. It'd certainly be easier. Oh yeah, cross your fingers that the DVD and film content match each other second for second.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-06-2003 11:29 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall there are DAT decks that accept external sync; so you can dub the DVD to DAT and go from there....

--jhawk

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-06-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly Tascam's DA-60 will chase/generate SMPTE time code.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-07-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've seen Tascam DAT players that generate/chase SMPTE. The DA-60 MKII can handle onboard or external SMPTE and has word clock in/out/through.

The Pioneer DVD-V7400 Industrial DVD-Video Player has an RS-232C connector for an outboard terminal controller, but I don't really know how those work other than some laserdisc players had them, too.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2003 06:10 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some older prints it would be really nice to sync up 5.1 off a dvd insead of mono. Frank please post back here if you find a way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: