Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » B-Chain for a Home Theatre System? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: B-Chain for a Home Theatre System?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-21-2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the process of EQ-ing and setting levels the same for aligning the audio system in a home theatre?

In particular, what SPL should we be aiming for? I would imagine that 85dBC would be a little too loud for home viewing. Am I wrong?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-21-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily, since DVDs are remixed for the dynamnic range of home equipment. It would also depend on what your neighbours say.
If you have a good home system with quality components that match each other, you don`t really need equalisation.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny
Film or video?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is for Home Theater, get yourself a copy of the DVD " Avia " or " Video Essentials " and calibrate your HT with that.

Avia suggests setting the dB level at 85dBC while Video Essentials suggests 75dBC.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-21-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would it make a difference whether the picture source is film or video? Shouldn't the sound reproduction system be aligned in the same way regardless? (I'm genuinely curious here.) Obviously, there's no A-chain issue with DVD, though.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 03:17 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well mostly because there is no way to do it (that I've seen) with the current DVD/Video home stuff, unless you add a bunch of outboard equipment to the decoder

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-21-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried this, so my questions will probably be inane...
In cinemas I set the 85dB SPL using Dolby pink noise film after the A chain is aligned & set to Dolby level and the house EQ done. So where do you get a reference level pink noise from in a DVD system?
This 85dB is valid at Dolby "7" level... what fader reference would you use to set the 85 dB SPL?
Even in a properly set up cinema, the fader is rarely run at "7" during real shows, so what does it matter what reference you use? Presumably you would turn the sound level up or down according to your mood and the film... so the only real value of doing the level setting would be to balance the main channels and set the sub and surround levels? (as long a the reference level is reasonable considering headroom vs noise issues)

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-21-2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron: Thanks, I'm going over to Amazon.com right now.

Dave: If one wanted to closely (or even loosely) recreate the experience as heard in the mixing theatre, I would imagine that would necessitate establishing a reference level that -- at least, perceptually -- equates to the 85dBC standard. [And I love that quote about your apprentice!]

Greg: This is for audio/video.

Michael: The components won't be matched and, even if they were, the manufacturer can't do anything about the room, right? So, I'd think that at least some minimal EQ'ing would remain necessary. What do you think?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny: Which one did you decide on?

Dave: To set a reference level, the receiver ( or preamp/processor ) should have the volume knob at max ( should read 00dB on the display ) then set your levels on your external amps until you reach your desired 85dBC level.

I'm sure there's other ways to do it depending on your equipment and setup.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-21-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most rooms at home do not have as strong an effect on the sound as a large cinema and the speakers are not behind the screen.
Like Greg said, a lot of home equipment does not have eq-ing capabilities comparable to cinema equipment, and adding external equalisation may not be worth the trouble.
A good set of speakers with a good frequency response should be enough. They don`t have to handle as high levels and dynamic range like cinema speakers anyway.
If you want to do it, eq-ing the front channels should be enough I think. You don`t need the X-curve if it is not a very big room anyway.
I think in a home environment tuning by ear is even more admissable than in a movie theater as discussed elsewhere.

Dave, most decoder units can play pink noise and some other test tones. It should usually be set to 85dB if measured at all. DVD has less dynamic headroom than digital film soundtracks and most DVDs are mixed to reflect that. The most important thing is of course that all channels have the same level. Where to set the fader is mainly an issue of the best signal-to-noise ratio while there should always be headroom for very soft material

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-22-2003 11:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a lot of good input and I thank you all. I will conduct some experiments based on this input and then post my opinions of how the different approaches affect the sound (in this particular room).

(It isn't that I believe my opinion matters in the grand scheme of things, but some closure would probably be nice if someone stumbles onto this thread later on down the line.)

Request to Moderator(s):I believe that there are some members who don't read the Yak section. Would it be possible to move this thread to FHF for some more input?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-22-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This deals with home theaters and does not really belong in FHF. Not to worry, all of the frequent posters visit all forums.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Avia setup disk is very useful for balancing your front channel, surround and subwoofer levels (with your Rat Shack SPL meter, of course). It will also help to optimise your video display for your typical viewing conditions.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 01:09 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My home theatre reciever has a quite powerful 3-band, quazi-parametric equalizer built in to it. It provides EQ for all six channels with the front L/R and surround L/R channels grouped together. (You can only apply one EQ curve per pair) I have used it to flatten out obvious response errors in primarily the L,C, and R channels.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a decent pink noise source to obtain the best results. The best I can do is use a two channel pink noise CD along with the Pro-Logic II decoder to get noise in individual channels. Does anybody know of a Dolby Digital or preferably a DTS-ES DVD that can produce pink noise in individual channels? I have found the Avia pink noise to be next to worthless for this purpose.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-23-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, my favorite online shopping mall (Amazon) does not carry either of the DVD setup discs. In fact, they don't seem to carry *any* setup discs.

I'm going to have to find a supplier for that -- one who will accept international credit cards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: