Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD pauses after the 3rd reel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DVD pauses after the 3rd reel
Laurence Till
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 03:41 PM      Profile for Laurence Till   Email Laurence Till   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed that when viewing a DVD there is a pause after the 3rd reel (after approx. 60 minutes)? It only indicates to me that the studios are having techno-nerds converting to the DVD format and not projectionists. I just wanted to know if it upsets anyone else as much as it upsets me. You pay a very high price to own a film and see that you could make a better presentation of the flick than some guy who doesn't seem to have a clue about change overs. That's my gripe. Thanks for reading. If you feel the same way and have noticed this apparent flaw in DVD technology, please voice your views.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-11-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about a brief "freeze" in the action, like a fraction of a second? That's probably the layer transition. Don't all dual-layer DVDs do that when the transition is made from one layer to the other? Some players make the layer change more quickly, but as far as I've read, the pause is unavoidable.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurence,
Chances are, you are actually seeing your DVD player switching the layer it is reading off of the disc rather than a bad transfer or digitization process. It seems to be an issue no matter how good a player you have as well. It is annoying though.

EDIT: Um, yeah, what David said, [Smile] His post wasn't there when I hit reply.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-11-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, layer change. It can happen at any point in the movie, not just halfway through. It all depends on what else is on the disc (extras, etc.)

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick way to tell is to check the DVD packaging for the letters "RSDL" (reverse spiral dual layer). If you see those, there's no doubt that at some point the DVD will freeze for a moment.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-11-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some dual laser players that can do seemless layer transitions. I know JVC has one, but I can't remember what model number it is -- I haven't used it in a couple years and don't have it here.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-11-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really bad when watching a DTS DVD, as for some reason it seems to take longer for the sound to restore itself than when in Dolby Digital. DTS on DVD seems to be an afterthought.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess when one complains about that brief freeze they never have experienced a side change on a laser disc player. Some players do perform this task much quicker. What needs to be developed is a way for the DVD player to store the information for a few seconds at the layer change so that when the next layer picks up it will be like a seemless action. You would never know that this change occured.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurence:

Thats cuzz you buy cheap-O DVDS...

P.S. Did you get my Fish money??

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the picture freezes for a couple seconds...big deal. Some of us remember having to get up and physically turn over a laserdisc. And the "auto-flip" players still took longer to switch sides than a DVD layer change. And before that, commercial interruptions on TV. A small price to pay for getting a complete movie in a high-quality format. Get over it!

To the original poster who dislikes these layer-changes (now that he knows that's what they are), there are a number of DVDs of movies with long running times released that are split across two sides. So...if, for instance, you want The Color Purple, but don't want to see the image freeze for a couple seconds, then buy the earlier version. If you can get up out of your seat, eject the disc, turn it over, and press play in less time than the layer change, let me know. I'd be impressed.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the "layer change freeze for a second" thing to, but sometimes it freezes at other points as well. The next time I play the DVD it doesn't do it. I can imagine the laser running along burning debris out of the way.....
Maybe it's dust or something?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me say this DO NOT TREAT YOUR DVD'S LIKE CD'S. Do not scratch them do not get finger prints on them or it will screw things up like crazy. Just a little fleck could cause your player to freeze if it interupts the laser. Also do not put anything on top of your DVD player. It will cause it to overheat causing problems and unwanted side effects.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-11-2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a better DVD player that transitions layers quicker.

I think it's great that the DVD engineeres put the layer change at the same point as a reel change. Imagine what it would look/sound like if the change occcured mid-sceene.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-11-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike wrote:

quote:
layer change at the same point as a reel change.
Imagine what it would look/sound like if the change occured mid scene.

Sometimes its at a reel change. But it can happen anytime on the
disc. Just like in past posts on this thread have said.
It does happen mid-scene. Watch the movie "What's Love Got to
Do With It" The change on that disc happens just before a song
happens. Tina is going on stage and the change happens, so you
have a break in the soundtrack.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-12-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically, a layer transition will occur at a chapter change.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: