Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Star Wars (request) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars (request)
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. Requesting information on Star Wars in all of its incarnations. I am a member on an a/v forum and no one can ever agree on details for Star Wars on 35mm, or 70mm for that matter. I figured I'd ask people who might actually "really" know. One thing about home theater folks, they think they know film more than they actually do. Thanks!

AJ Garman

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to recomend that Brad may want to move this to another area. I have a feeling it would be more benafical because there may be some conflicting info for this title and will spawn chit chat.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-22-2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed before, inparticularly things like when "episode 4" was added to the crawl. Try searching the FHF or Yak.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 01:16 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad. Sorry, I'm a newbie...didn't think about searching the other forums.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-22-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...For any of you who are interested in signing a petition to preserve the original trilogy -- that is the original versions of the original trilogy -- then this is a site you should visit.

How effective it will be is anyone's guess but one thing's for sure -- we can guess what will happen if nobody tries.

I'm reading that George Lucas intends to modify the originals even further for their eventual DVD release so that they match the new ones a little more closely. [Roll Eyes]

How much would you be willing to bet that he's gonna milk these new versions for all they're worth and then release the "classic editions" further on up the road to sucker die-hard fans into buying the same thing over and over.

Truth be told, I'm sorry that I ever was a fan.

In other news...

Lucas has announced plans to augment the Indiana Jones trilogy as well. He has already renamed the first one "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the eagerly awaited DVD release. Additionally, the original installments will feature a digitally enhanced Harrison Ford in the interest of preserving continuity when the recently-announced fourth film is finally added to the...erm...trilogy.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the nice thing about collecting movies on laserdics and DVD is the opportunity to acquire them as soon as they go on sale. I already have in my collection the original "STAR WARS" triology in a laserdisc box set exactly as they were originally released to theatres and another box collection of the triology with the new digital corrections the way they were re released to cinemas a few years ago with a new 5.1 Dolby Digital sound mix. Now that I have both the original and the altered versions, Lucas can take his time and do whatever he wants to do with them because I already have the originals. [Big Grin]

-Claude

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn`t be surprised if Jar-Jar made an appearance in Indiana Jones IV.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-22-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the original STAR WARS movies on laser as well but one day in the future it's gonna be a real pain to find a player -- and I don't have that many LD's left.

I'm don't want to have to keep a LD player just for these three movies.

What happens if/when these discs succomb to laser rot? I don't plan on waging war on eBay and shelling out $$$ to buy them as a "serious collector."

And furthermore, I'm not thrilled about side changes or disc changes.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It shouldn`t be too difficult these days to find someone who could record and burn the movies on DVDs.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-22-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the guilt has been gnawing at me...

I made up the part about digitally enhancing Harrison Ford but according to The Digital Bits Website the name of the first Indy movie has been changed. They even have a photo of the DVD artwork.

Sorry if I caused anybody to PANIC!!! [Eek!]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He has already renamed the first one "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the eagerly awaited DVD release.
The title was changed a few years ago for a VHS re-release...at least on the packaging. Having owned (and still do) the excellent 1992 remastered laserdisc edition, I saw no reason to buy or rent or borrow the VHS edition.

Edited post to add Star Wars data.

quote:
Requesting information on Star Wars in all of its incarnations. I am a member on an a/v forum and no one can ever agree on details for Star Wars on 35mm, or 70mm for that matter.
quote:
This has been discussed before, inparticularly things like when "episode 4" was added to the crawl. Try searching the FHF or Yak.
Are you seeking print specs, or are you trying to account for every minute difference that may exist in the numerous versions of the movie? Some of the content differences were mentioned in the "When did Star Wars become Episode IV?" thread mentioned earlier. If specific differences are what you are seeking then you'll have to ask a more specific question. I did a search here but couldn't locate any print spec info, so if it's print specs you're after, here's some of them. Others feel free to add to them (and move back to Feature Info & Trailer Attachments if desired).

1977 release:

70mm
20th Century Fox
"Full Width" (2.21:1)
Dolby A (41 or 42)
Six reels
121 minutes
Deluxe Lab (print)
Todd-AO (sounding)

35mm
20th Century Fox
Scope (2.39:1)
Dolby A
Six reels
121 minutes
Deluxe Lab

35mm
20th Century Fox
Mono
Six reels
121 minutes
Deluxe Lab

• There were also a limited number of IB Tech and 4-track mag prints made

• multiple audio mixes were made - initial batch of prints struck have a different soundtrack compared with prints released after the opening (mostly minor non-sync dialogue and sound effects differences)

• post-Empire re-release prints have a revised opening scroll

1997 Special Edition:
35mm
20th Century Fox
SR/SRD/DTS/SDDS
Six reels
125 minutes
Deluxe Lab
Trailer: The Empire Strikes Back

• a 70mm-DTS print was made for special screening(s)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn that all the Star Wars films had seven reels. Of course it has been a while since I handles one.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. That is the gist of what I was looking for Michael. However, does anyone know of some of the differences amongst the different versions? I figured some folks on here have surely handled some of these "various" versions of Star Wars. As for Daryl's comment, I too thought there was7 reels. I thought I heard Rick McCallum say something about it or something. Any thoughts?

AJ Garman

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could have sworn that all the Star Wars films had seven reels.
Star Wars and Empire were six. Jedi was seven.

I'm pretty sure the reel changes in the longer Special Editions were in the same locations, except for the transition from reel two to three in Star Wars.

quote:
does anyone know of some of the differences amongst the different versions? I figured some folks on here have surely handled some of these "various" versions of Star Wars.
How many versions are you trying to account for? Just theatrical? Or home video as well? Originals vs. Special Editions? (We could post for days comparing originals to Special Editions, which I'd rather not do because I find the original differences to be far more compelling.)

The problem here is that time is an enemy and memory is not a science. Not to mention that another huge problem is that I feel the Internet is a breeding ground for false information. Arguments and conflicting information will forever permeate discussions of this type (but that doesn't mean it isn't still fun to discuss!). For example, people still cannot seem to agree on when Episode IV was added or the number of theaters the film opened in or whether certain scenes were present. I see erroneous or conflicting references to these things in print and certainly on the Internet often.

Having said that, here are a few items of interest concerning the original theatrical versions:

There were at least two and possibly as many as five English-language sound mixes for the original theatrical release. Without being able to identify which versions were which some of the more "obvious" differences include:

• an extra C-3PO line in the Death Star control room scene describing the location of the tractor beam

• a Stormtrooper asks to "Close the blast doors" while chasing after Han and Chewie in a Death Star corridor (the presence of the line makes the ensuing "Open the blast doors" line funnier)

• Aunt Beru's lines were looped by a different actress in at least one version

• in at least one version a Stormtrooper's line is slightly different following knocking on the locked door that R2 and 3PO are hiding behind in Mos Eisley

• in some versions Luke has a line "Blast it Wedge, where are you?" during the Death Star raid -- in other versions the line is "Blast it Biggs, where are you?"

• a multitude of sound effects and intercom voices are either different takes or completely different sounds throughout some versions

A couple points of controversy:

• many will claim that some early prints included the Luke/Biggs reunion scene in the Rebel hanger

• some will claim that the scene where Chewie scares the Mouse Robot on the Death Star was not present in some early prints

• An Episode IV: A New Hope subtitle was added to the head of the opening scroll at a certain point in time. This is a point of controversy. If you read the "When did Star Wars Become Episode IV?" thread in Film-Yak you can figure out what year I think this occured. Others, naturally, disagree/remember it differently.

• when the Episode IV tag was added, the entire scroll was revised slightly to enable it to remain in sync with the music. In other words, two lines were added but spacing adjustments were made to enable the scroll to still begin and end at the same time as before. The word "rebel" was capitalized (Rebel) in one version and was lowercase (rebel) in the other

• in some early versions Han fires first. [Smile]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That http://www.originaltrilogy.com/ website is interesting, but they only want Lucas to preserve the first three films on DVD.

I found no mention of film prints, so we will never see anything on the big screen except the so-called Special Editions which I detested. [Mad]
There is a fine book called THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR by Raymond Bouzereau that has fascinating fact about Director`s Cuts, censorship and multiple versions.
The book says that when Steven Spielberg made the CLOSE ENCOUNTERS special edition, he demanded that both old and new versions remain available for theatre booking. I have no idea whether they kept the promise...

But I cannot imagine that anybody will Lucas make change his mind about the original versions - but maybe his dark empire will crumble when a Hobbit throws the Master DVD into the Fiery Mountain? [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: