Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » They Call me Trinity (1971) VHS

Author Topic: They Call me Trinity (1971) VHS
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 04:22 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice color print - not sure which stock but the blues and greens came through quite natural.

This film marks another pinnacle for the genre of spaghetti westerns.

Terence Hill and Bud Spencer starred in this touching, epic tale about two brothers defending a group of devout Mormons from Mexican Bandits. One detects shades of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai in this gripping, moving tale of conflict. Whereas Kurosawa was guilty of making too long a film however, Clucher keeps the story and action concise and relevant.

Director E.B. Clucher mixes a story of a man torn over his love of two different Mormon women with a realistic, if somewhat understated portrayal of violence of that era. Clucher however keeps violence to a minimum, preferring to concentrate on the complex relationships between the men of that time. The film is undeniably one of the most accurate portrayals of western life in this era and accurately shows how the west was populated by sensitive, compassionate men, notably of Italian extraction.

Terence plays the selfless, honest Trinity whilst Bud Spencer plays the violence-eschewing, tender, compassionate Bambino as the character's name suggests.

The rough and beautiful countryside of south western USA is unmistakeable in the wide screen shots and the camera work sensitively conveys the deepest emotions of each of the two main characters. Clearly shot on a massive budget, the film is epic in proportion and stands as a testament to how much better western movies are when made by Europeans.

It is impossible to tell that the film is dubbed as the voices used are well timed and appopriate to the era. One could be forgiven for thinking that the film was shot in English. The musical score is original and the whistling style of the score arguably set a precedent for future films of the same ilk.

My verdict - 80%

cheers Peter

PS Warning - sensitive viewers may cry at the touching and heart-rending scenes

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-12-2002 11:26 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Whereas Kurosawa was guilty of making too long a film..."

Peter, how can you desecrate one of the greatest masterpieces in film history !?!
It would be interesting to see how those Hill/Spencer movies are in the original version. What IS the original version? English? Italian? Their movies used to be very popular in Germany. But I have only seen the dubbed versions. Especially in the 70s, often movies were dubbed in a way which left nothing of the original dialogue content. Some dubbing directors would run amok and write extremely silly dialogue because they thought the originals were not rib-crackingly funny enough. The Hill/Spencer movies were a prominent example of this, so everybody here now thinks of them as extremely silly movies with outdated, forced jokes.
Terence Hill`s "Lucky Luke" failed completely at the German box-offices because everybody thought it was just another installment of those movies which today nobody cares to watch anymore even on afternoon TV. I don`t think it is available on video here, si I have nerver seen it.
By the way, that unfortunate practice of using a movie just as atemplate for the dubbing director`s jokes has completely stopped now and has been replaced by very faithful translations of the original, but I still hate dubbing as such.
Michael

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2002 08:34 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha

You fell for it hook line and sinker.

I was amazed that so very few people had been replying to my appraisals of some classic films (A fistful of dollars etc) of late I started to wonder whether anyone was reading my reviews. Accordingly I thought the best way to check was to throw in a red herring which is you look carefully is what my review above. Most of what I have written above is a parody. The film was of course not shot in the south west of the USA but in Europe! It is not a serious film but a spoof in itself of the western genre and more particularly the spaghetti western genre. I think there is a lesson here in not taking film critics too seriously!

Seriously though any film that spawns that many sequels must have something going for it. If you think about it what Hill & Spencer did
was to transplant slapstick humor of the Laurel and Hardy, Abbott & Costello or Marx Brothers kind into a spaghetti western film setting. There is really only one way to critic such a film - either the audeience find the film funny or they don't. And I think that the number of sequels suggests that they did find them funny. I personally have a degree of respect for what these guys achieved because it is no mean feat for a pair of Italian actors to star in a series of films that met with success in English markets.

I didn't find this film full of huge belly laughs but it works through a solid, if basic plot whilst maintaining one's tongue firmly in one's cheek. The mock fights are pure slapstick and the perpetually disgruntled Bambino's habit of banging opponents on the head with his fist is pure theatre.

As the film is predominantly visual humor, the dubbing can be overlooked.

The 80% rating still stands.

On the subject of Kurosawa, I did find Seven Samurai to be a bit too long but I agree that the film is a classic.

cheers Peter

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-12-2002 09:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took your review seriously because as I said, I don`t really know how the movies are in the original versions. To be honest, I don`t even know which one "They Call Me Trinity" is. The German versions all have very strange titles like "Two Fists for a Halleluya". The ones I have seen many years ago have somehow blended in my memory into a single fistfight orgy. Since I don`t even know if I have seen all of them, there would be no reason for me not to believe what you wrote - even though I found it hard to believe that there should have been a serious movie from them. The only Spencer/Hill movie I distinctly remember was not a Spaghetti Western, but the one in which they play two knights on a crusade. But I don`t remember the title either.
A real classic can not be too long!
Michael

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-31-2002 02:33 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw this film as a youngster, it was just SOOOO amazing. In my old age, it is less amazing, but still a lot of fun.

If you haven't seen this, it is a fine spagetti western.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: