Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "THE SHINING" (TV Version)

Author Topic: "THE SHINING" (TV Version)
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to get hold of a DVD copy of the TV miniseries of "THE SHINING" and watched only the first ten minutes of the film last night before I viewed the first five hours of a rental copy of Season 2 of "OZ".What little I saw of the "THE SHINING" looked very good. When I first saw the film on network television a few years ago, it was spread out over a couple of evenings and I enjoyed it very much but watching it without any commercials and stopping, except for a bathroom break is the best way to view this movie in my opinion.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think it's better than Kubricks version?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-08-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure don't.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the TV version. But Kubrick's is a masterpiece. I don't give a [bs] if it deviated from the book. [Big Grin]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam & David,

In my opinion, Stanley Kubrick's adaption is a classic and has been a favorite of mine for a very long time. The TV miniseries seem to go into greater detail that I assume was in original novel. I have not read the book but I am sure the newer version follows the original very closely because the teleplay was written my Steven King himself. I am very happy I now have both versions in my home video library on DVD.

-Claude

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Heres JOHNNY!!!! [evil]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched part of this, ended up turning the channel.
I'm not much of a fan of remakes in most cases.

Danny

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are we comparing Kubrick's film (there's the key phrase) to Mick Garris's miniseries? They're totally different pieces of art attempting to do different things.

Kubrick's The Shining is a masterpiece. It's not Stephen King's The Shining, that's a book. The two should not be confused. I could care less if Kubrick totally changes the meaning of the piece. If you want the book, read the book.

Mick Garris's The Shining is brilliant. It's very slow. So what? Attention spans sure are a problem for a lot of people today. Garris's work takes it time placing you in his world. Things slowly unfold and are revealed. It's clear that King, who wrote the screenplay for the miniseries, was more interested in individual characters and especially in the alcoholism of Jack. Kubrick's piece was more a commentary on man himself rather than an individual.

Kubrick's film is a hauntingly beautiful piece of art. Garris's version is a brilliant work of atmosphere and character development.

They're both wonderful. Why can't we all just get along? [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: