Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (DVD)

Author Topic: Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (DVD)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-12-2003 10:55 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Collector's Edition DVD, 2 discs. The feature is on a dual-layer disc, includes commentary by Leonard Nimoy, Robin Curtis, and others. Enhanced Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, sound is very good. Picture quality is mostly very good too.

This is one of my guilty pleasures. [Wink] I first saw it on its opening night, in 70mm 6-track Dolby, with a group of fellow Star Trek fans from where I worked at the time. I love this film, almost as much as Khan. It successfully deals with themes of loyalty, sacrifice, and "insubordination in the name of a just cause", while keeping a sense of humor and wonder. Takes itself seriously, yet it's interjected with bits of Star Trek humor and not afraid to have a little fun. Explores Vulcan mysticism and hocus-pocus. All the main characters get at least one great moment on screen. Christopher Lloyd is excellent as Klingon Commander Kruge. The special effects by ILM are mostly good, occasionally very good. All this in a nice tight 1:45 running time. [Smile]

[thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this DVD is just all the stuff they had on the Special laserdisc or if they added anything new to it.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 12:36 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder if this DVD is just all the stuff they had on the Special laserdisc or if they added anything new to it.
What special laserdisc???

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was a Directors cut laser disc for Star Trek 3 but I am not sure what all was on it other than A directors comentary.

EDIT:

OOOOPS what am I thinking it was Star Trek 4 that had the directors cut.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there was a Directors cut laser disc for Star Trek 3 but I am not sure what all was on it other than A directors comentary.
EDIT:
OOOOPS what am I thinking it was Star Trek 4 that had the directors cut.

If I remember correctly, the only "original crew" movies that had longer cuts available on laser were Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek VI. None had any audio commentary. I don't remember anything special on that Trek IV laserdisc you're thinking of other than a director-hosted introduction/featurette. It was part of a so-called Paramount Director's Series that pretty much never went anywhere. Fatal Attraction is the only other title I can recall being released with that treatment.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's what I was thinking just a director introduction not an actual comentary through the film. I do know that Forest Gump had a spedial edition disc with extra features. A friend loned that one to me and then I got it on DVD when it became availabe.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-15-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 843 days since the last post.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this film so many times, the best every presentation was at the CIC Empire Leicester Square screen #1 THX, Star Trek day in-70mm October 8th 1989 admission was £10.00 WOW.

And although I have the Star Trek films on DVD and Laserdisc the DVD are spot on just like the being at the Empire, Star Trek III was a total surprise of entertainment where captain Kirk’s son gets knifed by a Klingon in the chest is very scary you can feel the stabbing of the knife punching it’s way into his chest cavity err…

This happens between 40Hz and 60Hz err, makes my skin crawl it does and the part where the USS Enterprise gets blow to utter pieces is totally jaw dropping KABOOM.

My God, Bones, What have I done?
What you had to do,
What you always do,
Turned death into a fight chance to live.

That’s a dame good line in the film if you ask me,

And James Horner’s score is bass pressing when the USS Enterprise is been taken without permission the sound mixes tension building up and those huge space dock doors opening up on all front channels and the LFE BOOM

Well writing this I’ve placed it on the palter and USS Enterprise going into warp speed leaving the USS excelsior clawing behind and the sound effect editors make her sound like a big joke dame funny like an old banger.

Bugger me man the USS Grissom as just been blow up oh dear, any conclusion this comes close to the road show event with very little split-surrounds, when the film was about to open paramount where paying a lot of money for the TAP/THX program for the presentation in 70mm.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: