Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" (Superbit DVD)

Author Topic: "FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" (Superbit DVD)
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-05-2003 02:38 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" has already been released on DVD and I once owned a copy but sold it when I learned that it was going to be reissued as part of Columbia Home Video's Superbit series. The new version has a picture quality that is a little better than the original but the sound is something else! The DVD features a mono mix on the Dolby track and a great 5.1 recreated soundtrack in DTS. Except for the centre channel, almost all of the scenes with dialogue is mono with no ambiant sound from the right and left front and surround speakers. A few scenes in a bar and the very famous beach segment does however feature wonderful ambient sounds with dialogue. It is the attack at Pearl Harbor and Schofield Barracks that the remixed DTS sound track gets it's workout. In DTS, the sound of the attacking airplanes and explosians come from everywhere including the rear surround speaker. I have learned from an video magazine article about the pending laserdisc release many years ago of "FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" that the film was released in stereophonic sound in a few major American cities and none of the prints had survived except for one that is in the hands of a private collector who refused to lend it to Columbia. The laserdisc and the first DVD was relaesed in only mono so I would have to assume because there were no original stereo tracks to work with that all of the surround tracks had to be recreated from original sound recordings. I know if the music, dialogue and effects tracks were recorded separately, creating a very good stereo sound mix is possible and "FROM HERE TO ETERNITY" is a perfect example of that.

-Claude

[ 03-06-2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: