Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Emulsion-on-sound-drum projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Emulsion-on-sound-drum projectors
Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2019 02:16 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, friends, I’d like to know more about 35mm projectors that have the sound head so oriented that prints wrap around the drum with the photographic layer next to it. That way constant focus is secured. In Europe there seems to be the Philips FP 20 alone. Among the American makes I know of DeVry. Are there any more brands?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-17-2019 07:19 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I last used one in 1998, so my memory may be failing me, but I have a dim recollection that the optical reader on the Gaumont-Kalee GK-37 is so arranged. If so, the unusual sound drum arrangement is likely because it was a Frankenprojector, cobbled together from the ashes of Rank's VistaVision adventure.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2019 11:30 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An easier question would be what American projectors do not have the film's emulsion wound against the sound drum. As far as I know, none.

All the major brands such as Simplex, Century were designed this way. This has never been a problem unless something is wrong with the projector's sound head, such as bad bearings or an off balance flywheel.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-17-2019 12:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t think the 5-Star sound head works with the emulsion against the drum.

The film wraps counter clockwise around the drum. If the film is threaded with the emulsion side facing the rear of the projector, that puts the base side against the drum.

That stupid pinch roller is another kettle of fish.

In fact I don’t remember any projector that I worked on to place the emulsion against the drum. Century. Simplex. Christie. I don’t even remember the Kinoton to be that way.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-17-2019 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinoton FP20/FP30 optical sound head is that way (original one). It also is susceptible to picking up the work light because the cell is "looking" forward.

An advantage to the emulsion facing the drum is that focus isn't dependent on film thickness. The same was true of film gates. Straight gates let the emulsion side be the reference...curved gates, typically had the base side. Cinemeccanica sort of did a curved gate with the emulsion side as the reference.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2019 01:03 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, gentlemen, for the commitment. Since we’re at it, the Philips-Kinoton FP 20/23/30 have a curved gate, the convex part of it movable and the concave one rigid.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-18-2019 06:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true...however, the runner strips on Kinoton are a wearable part that get thinner with use. So you do have focus drift over time as well as the aperture to film spacing changing as well. On the up side, as the skate and runners wear, they tend to get better with time...until the point that they wear out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-18-2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A point of clarity, I can't think of any major projector that has the emulsion against the sound drum. Absolutely Century, Simplex, Christie, etc does not. The base side is what is in contact with the sound drum.

Now Simplex and RCA soundheads do have that dreadful pinch roller that is marvelous at adding wear to the emulsion of the image, but the base side of the film is what is against the sound drum itself.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-18-2019 07:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the DeVry, but with a red reader I retrofitted in. Normally the Exciter lamp is to the right and the photo tube or cell went inside the sound drum.

-

Emiel De Jong
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2019 04:07 AM      Profile for Emiel De Jong   Email Emiel De Jong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older type FP20 / FP30 soundheads have emulsion side in contact with the drum, however image and sound area is not touched. The newer (reverse scan) soundheads are base side in contact with the drum.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2019 02:14 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Emiel De Jong
The older type FP20 / FP30 soundheads have emulsion side in contact with the drum
That’s the reason for my asking, somebody on a German forum said it were the only such projector known to him. I thought to myself, not possible, someone must have had the idea before, I mean the FP 20 is from 1957-58 but optical sound is at least thirty years older.

Emulsion-on-drum sound projectors are well known with 16mm film, Bell & Howell had it, Bauer, Siemens & Halske, Paillard-Bolex, RCA. Not Ampro, not Kodak, not Hortson

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-20-2019 07:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm is a different animal. Unlike 35mm MOST 16mm prints had the emulsion facing the lens. It all depends on where your print was in the dupe-chain (how far away from the negative it was). Kinoton even had a lever on their FP16/FP18 and portables built off those mechanisms for changing the focus between standard/non-standard to compensate for emulsion in/out.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2019 07:32 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When servicing 16mm in the day, we had an SMPTE focus loop with half of the loop in each emulsion position and did a compromise focus balancing both positions. The oscilloscope was our best friend for this task.

Basic service on RCA, Bell & Howell, Ampro and Eiki projectors.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-20-2019 07:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The printing and projection orientation of 16mm never had a global standard stick in the way that it did with 35. This is likely because it started as exclusively a reversal process (i.e. it was invented for home movies), and then negative-positive workflows in 16mm came later. The fact that 16mm was originally double perf, and then a single perf variant came along with sound could also have been part of that mix. So Kodak originally started with the base facing the lens (for projection), and later processes had the emulsion facing the lens.

In the UK, at least, the latter were known as "DIN prints," (Deutsches Institut für Normung, a German technical standards organization that presumably defined a standard for 16mm release printing) and a BTH 16mm portable I once remember using actually had the optical photocell adjustment lever for flipping positions labeled "Standard" at one end and "DIN" at the other.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2019 07:59 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
a BTH 16mm portable I once remember using actually had the optical photocell adjustment lever
The Kodak Pageant projectors had a small lever for focusing the sound head optics
depending on the orientation of the sound track. (or more correctly, the emulsion position)

In the earlier(1950's) models, I believe it was actually labeled "FOCUS", but in later models
it was labeled "FIDELITY"

The levers were labeled "R" and "P" for "Reversal" and "Print" by a large university I worked
at many years ago, since the student films could be one way or the other depending on how
they were made, such as if they contained opticals, etc .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: