Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bell an Howell 1615 Projector - 8mm

Author Topic: Bell an Howell 1615 Projector - 8mm
Don Elsass
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2019 03:27 PM      Profile for Don Elsass   Author's Homepage   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Kodak 8mm film reel doesn't fit the B and H spindle (hole too small). Is an adapter required? Also the film take up reel outside diameter is slightly too large. It prevents the take up wheel from turning. I thought the film reels I use with my Elmo projector are standard and would fit. NOT! Any advice?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-2019 05:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbass question: Are you sure you're putting the reel on the right way?

8mm reels are keyed with one side is smaller than the other so that you can only put them on one way. Have you flipped the reel over and tried to put it on the other way?

Film reels come in fairly standardized sizes. 3 inch. 6 inch. 12 inch. etc. You really should not have a situation where a reel of film fits on one projector but not another. If that were true then you couldn't show your home movies unless you had a particular projector and a set of matching reels. What if you took your movies to somebody else's house who had a different model of projector than you?

Spindle hole sizes should not vary according to the brand of projector, either. Double check to see that one side of the reel has a smaller, round hole in one side and a larger, square hole in the other. Again, it's a means of preventing the user from putting the reel on the wrong way. 8mm film only has sprocket holes on one edge. Putting the reel on the wrong way means that the user will be threading the film wrong and he could damage the film and/or projector. Keyed reels is a safety measure.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-08-2019 05:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard-8 and super-8 use different sized hubs, even though the width of the film is the same. Presumably, this is to prevent Aunt Millie from trying to project a super-8 film on a standard-8 projector (which would destroy the film).

Are you trying to use a standard-8 reel on a super-8 projector or vice-versa? Some reels have removable bushings so that the same reel can be used for either format.

Don Elsass
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2019 08:27 PM      Profile for Don Elsass   Author's Homepage   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used an Elmo 8mm projector for years, so I'm not a newbie and I know the proper way to install the reel. As I stated, the Kodak film reel does not fit the projector drive shaft. The reel hole measures about 5/16" diameter and the black plastic part on the drive shaft measures about 1/2". Photo shows the shaft.

-

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-2019 11:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Putting reels on backward is a mistake that I have made, myself.

Anybody can make mistakes like that. Even seasoned veterans.

Do double check to be sure which format of film you've got.

Regular-8 has the frames between the sprocket holes.

Super-8 has the sprocket holes aligned with the horizontal center of the frames. Super-8 also has smaller sprocket holes.

Again... Anybody can mix them up and so have I.
That's the reason why reels are keyed to prevent mix-ups.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2019 05:11 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That out of focus shot of the spindle looks like it could be a Super 8 projector and the diameter should be around 13mm and Standard 8 spindles are 8mm diameter.
Neither are generally like some 16mm reels which have a round hole one side and square hole on the opposite side. Other 16mm spools have 2 square holes.
With both Super 8 & Std 8 the drive between the spindle and spool is by a drive dog that engages a slot in the spool cheek usually 3 of them arranged around the spindle centre.
If you are trying to run a Super 8 reel on a Std 8 spindle because the film has been wound onto the wrong type of spool there are adapters available that press into a Super 8 spool and have a Std 8 8mm diam hole.
So what size is that spindle as shown in the photo??

Don Elsass
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2019 07:07 AM      Profile for Don Elsass   Author's Homepage   Email Don Elsass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a user manual and the problem is resolved. By squeezing and pushing in on the black plastic part, the diameter was reduced to engage the film reel. Thanks every body for your comments.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: