Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS 3000 with 35 magnetic

Author Topic: SDDS 3000 with 35 magnetic
Tim Androes
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2019 01:14 PM      Profile for Tim Androes   Email Tim Androes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
century projector...Westrex mag head...MPU-1...SDDS 3000...Datasat AP-20. is this going to be possible as is or do i need to have an interface between the mag and the SDDS? i do have a CP-65 available.

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2019 01:59 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember if the AP-20 will allow you to apply NR to the 6 channel analog input. I would probably use the CP-65 to take the output from the MPU-1 and apply Noise Reduction to it. You could take the outputs of the 65 pre fader or just leave the fader at 7

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-28-2019 02:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing Tim is trying to ask if the DFP3000 can add the Dolby A noise reduction to one of it's 6 channel inputs, not the AP20.

Personally I find the Dolby noise reduction emulation absolutely godawful in the Sony. I can't remember if the DFP3000 can add NR to the 6 channel inputs or not, but it's something that should not be used even if it can because it's so awful.

For playing mag, the MPU1 should be connected into the CP65. From there calibrate your room inside the CP65 and out to the amps or if you just have to have the AP20 in the line, output the CP65 flat and into the AP20. Leave the Sony DFP3000 out of it.

Even if you just intend to "loop through" the DFP3000 to utilize it's two 6 channel inputs, keep in mind you are further degrading the quality of the audio because it's got to run through an A>D, then the internal Sony processing (even if you leave everything at flat) and then run through another D>A.

A number of people jumped on the DFP3000 to use as a playback source for their home systems like a DA20 or dts player. However at the end of the day, the 3000 series SDDS is inferior to the original 2000 series as it doesn't have the ability to play worn or dirty SDDS tracks like the 2000 can. Since everyone is using older prints now and not running brand new prints from the lab, the 2000 is the better option for SDDS playback.

Before anyone says anything, yes I have a 3000 in my system, but it is purely because I am pushing the limit of the weight I am willing to put on the top of my JJs as it is, and the 3000 is an noticeably lighter penthouse.

Tim Androes
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2019 06:16 PM      Profile for Tim Androes   Email Tim Androes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AP20 is the end processor; everything else is going thru it; private screening room. the problem i ran into with the 65 into the ap20 was the unbalanced hum from the 65; going thru the sony eliminated that. can i run the mpu outputs directly into an aux input on the sony; EQing would be thru the ap20 which the owner prefers; Dirac live.

and to both of you: thank you for the replies.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2019 01:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had a hum with the CP65 that was eliminated when injecting the signal into the Sony, you flat out did not make your cables properly. I would recommend you download that DFP-3000 tech notes document in the archive here, as it has a well written explanation of how to connect balanced to unbalanced signals.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-29-2019 09:24 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hum is a always a different beast - but we run a CP65 into an AP20 without that issue. So, maybe there is a way to eliminate the hum AND the SDDS 3000 by reevaluating the connections.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: