Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cleaning old 35mm print (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: cleaning old 35mm print
Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2019 02:39 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an old 35mm (1970's) print in generally good condition except it is marked with what appear to be remnants of a film cleaner/preserver throughout, possibly a very old application of filmguard. Very obvious when screening. We have the kelmar machine and wonder what would be the best impregnation to use. Possibly saturate the tapes with filmguard the day before cleaning and run through a couple of times? Use isopropanol instead? How about both of these approaches.
Any experience of remedying this most welcome. We do not have access to a lipsner smith film cleaning machine which would be my first choice. We are London based.

|  IP: Logged

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2019 02:53 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that these are leftovers of Filmguard - so far I have never encounteres any negative after effects of FG, even years after application. It just seems to evaporate.

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2019 03:50 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know how or with what this print was treated, obviously done on a platter as the intermediate leaders are not affected. I thought possibly filmguard because of its smell.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-11-2019 07:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without a more detailed description and/or a photo of the visible artifacts, it is difficult to speculate what they could be, but I will do so anyways, and opine that the contaminant is more likely to be projector oil than a cleaning product. The only cleaning or preservative process I am aware of that is known to cause visible defects over time is Scotchgard/Photogard, and this will also cause deformation (curling and/or cupping) of the film base.

If it is projector oil, the only treatment that stands a good chance of getting most of it off without causing any damage to the emulsion is ultrasonic cleaning, rewashing, and (if the film base is acetate or nitrate; not polyester) polishing. You indicate that this isn't an option in your case. Unless the deposits are flaking off, PTRs are unlikely to help.

A pass through media pads impregnated with Filmguard certainly can't hurt. Depending on the type of release print stock involved (and especially if it's b/w), IPA (by which I mean isopropyl alcohol, not India pale ale!) could, especially if it's denatured rather than pure. In some jurisdictions, alcohol not intended for drinking has to have stuff added to it that makes it undrinkable (i.e. it provokes a gag reflex if you try to drink it) in order to be exempt from booze duty. In California at any rate, IPA that has been so treated is labeled "denatured." These additives can leave deposits on anything you try to clean with the stuff: it often won't evaporate without leaving a trace.

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2019 09:58 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Leo,
Perhaps the following:
Multiple passes (perhaps as many as ten) through the kelmar using filmguard impregnated tapes. Then several passes using virgin tapes impregnated with isopropyl alcohol, we have this very high purity. This is an almost zero cost route for us. If the above does not resolve matters the print will have to be ultrasonically cleaned when the budget can be found.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-11-2019 12:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any way this could make the print worse, unless the unknown contaminant has affected the emulsion such that the IPA removes the emulsion along with the contaminant. Once you get to the IPA passes, if it were me, I'd stop after, say, the first 50 feet of the first reel, and look at it carefully for any sign of any ill effects.

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2019 01:15 PM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can always try simple virgin kelmar tape without the IPA
I thought of IPA because Kodak mention it as a somewhat effective film cleaner being an alternative to compounds now banned which were superior.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2019 10:16 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the ideas posted above. I'm no expert but purely from a soil cleaning point of view, I would personally run in the following order

1- dry media run to absorb the excess oil/mystery cleaner
2- IPA to actually clean the oil off and leave a clean slate
3- Filmguard to condition/protect/perfect

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-15-2019 06:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
IPA (by which I mean isopropyl alcohol, not India pale ale!) could, especially if it's denatured rather than pure.
Isopropyl Alcohol does not need to be "Denatured." It isn't drinkable in natural form (and you should seek it in as pure as possible, not in the rubbing varieties which just add water to the mix). Most "Pure" anhydrous IPA are 99%.

What Leo is thinking of is Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol), which IS drinkable and needs to be denatured if to be sold as a chemical and not subject to the various liquor laws.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2019 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's most likely residue fomr oil that got on the print. Its easily possible with certain projectors. Perc will clean it off easily and Perc is the common ingredient of brake cleaner. However, only use it outside!!

https://www.chemicalsafetyfacts.org/perchloroethylene/

Mark

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2019 12:15 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you use Perc?
Neat or dilute with water. Soak pads and pull through? Given its very nasty nature and our terrible weather, it will have to wait until spring.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-16-2019 03:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perc isn't THAT nasty.

It's NFPA "Fire Diamond" is 2-0-0

"Health" = 2 - Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury (e.g. diethyl ether, ammonium phosphate, iodine)

"Fire" = 0 - Will not burn under normal conditions.

"Reactivity" = 0 - Will not react unpredictably under normal conditions.

Although it can make you sick it won't cause lasting injury unless you get a lot of it in your system.

It's main method of action on humans is through inhalation of vapors or absorption through skin.

Use it outdoors or in a place where there is excellent ventilation.

Wear Nitrile gloves and an apron while using it.

Be careful not to spill more than a nominal amount. Small spills will evaporate on their own in a few minutes. For large spills, treat it as you would paint thinner or similar things. Wipe and absorb spills, place in a safe container and dispose of responsibly. Most or all of it will evaporate.

One of its main uses in business and industry is as a dry cleaning solvent for clothes. When you take your clothes to the dry cleaner, that's what they use.

It's not "Methyl-Ethyl-Bad-Shit" but, as long as you respect it for the industrial solvent that it is you should have no problems.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-16-2019 08:04 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These chemicals went out of use for film cleaning not so much because of their immediate danger to human health, but because of their environmental nastiness. Until the mid-1990s, 1,1,1-Trichloroethane was the methyl-ethyl-bad-shit of choice for ultrasonic film cleaners (when they were first invented in the early '70s, they used carbon tetrachloride, but by the mid-1980s, most were using 1,1,1 because it was less of a direct poison risk to the operator). Then for some environmental reason (could be because it attacked the ozone layer, I can't remember), it was banned for all except a tiny number of uses, at which point ultrasonic film cleaning started to use perc. I gather that there are now environmental objections to perc, too.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-16-2019 08:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the problem with Perc is ozone depletion. As I remember, it is something like 200 times LESS potent than Freon.

I think that one of its main problems in the environment is bioaccumulation...its half-life is something like 6 months and one of its decomposition byproducts is Phosgene.

The other thing that I remember is that there have been some studies that suggest that percloroethylene can cause cancer but it's one of those things that hasn't been definitively confirmed. I think it's one of those "some studies show that Substance-X causes cancer in laboratory rats" things.

I would say that the main risk, there, is from occupational or industrial exposure. People who work in factories where they are frequently exposed will probably be at risk while the average person who is exposed infrequently will have no risk if they use it properly.

I don't have a problem with "chemicals," per se, as long as one respects them.

If I handed you a loaded pistol, you might pick it up and say, "Nice gun. Is it loaded?" But, if I handed you a sealed jar full of sodium cyanide, most people would probably freak out.

As long as they are each handled with due diligence and respect there shouldn't be any difference between the two. Right?

Same thing with perchloroethylene. Learn the facts. Use due caution. No problem.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2019 02:11 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should give it two passes. The first is to degrease, so a cleaning machine run. Second should be a water wash-drying cycle on a film processor. Labs do that, surely not all. Make sure drying temperature is not too high.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: