Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS DFP-D2000 QC-Software problem

Author Topic: SDDS DFP-D2000 QC-Software problem
Hannes Ziegenhorn
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2019 08:01 AM      Profile for Hannes Ziegenhorn   Email Hannes Ziegenhorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
Since I startet playing around with SDDS processors, I often had trouble connecting the Sony DFP-D2000 to a PC.
The Setup-Software works with almost all Computers I tried (Windows 98 or XP). But the SDDS QC-Software (V3.0 from the warehouse) only worked on two W98-Laptops so far.
On the Windows 98 SE Computer I set up last week, the Setup-Software runs fine, but the QC-Software shows the Message: "Not able to establish communications with DFP number 10803. Try reconnecting a different serial number."
The serial number is as shown on the DFP display. Also with another DFP-D2000 (and its respective serial number) I get the same error message.
So it seems to start a communication with the processor and getting a response, but something isn´t working as supposed.
Could please somebody explain to me what the cause of his error is and how to fix it.

Thanks
Hannes

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-05-2019 09:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using a DB9 null cable?

Michael Zarits
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2019 12:34 PM      Profile for Michael Zarits     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you already use a DB9/null cable as Brad mentions try different brands. I used 4 different null cables until one finally worked. Unfortunately there's no manufacturer branding on my working cable.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-06-2019 12:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a standard pinout for a null modem cable, so that shouldn't make a difference if the cable conforms to the standard.

My guess: is the OP using a USB-to-serial adapter or a computer with an actual serial port? The former sometimes causes problems with certain types of equipment. Tripp-Lite/Keyspan is generally recognized as good, but, of course, a physical serial device is preferred. Maybe someone who regularly deals with Sony equipment can post what works.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adapters camn be strange........make you're own null odem cable, or use small null model db9 changer......

Last time i did play with SDDS was few weeks ago, and i did set up virtual machine with XP so i can run it under windows 10 on lamptop, than i did not have problem to use either com port which is genue on my elitebook, ether some profilic usb-rs232 converter........but is you use converter it MUST be rs232, not just regulat com which run just pure RX/TX, but it needs to have real RS232 voltage levels, because sony has MAX232 on UART and level which are out of standards are not recodnized.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2019 06:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Sony used the wrong gender...even a null modem cable would require a gender-bender to work. I make my own using 9-conductor shield with the right gender connectors...never had an issue.

Hannes Ziegenhorn
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 04:35 PM      Profile for Hannes Ziegenhorn   Email Hannes Ziegenhorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built a male to female full-nullmodem-cable according to the diagramm in the DFP-D2000 software manual.
I heard that some USB-adapters don´t work, so i´m using the serial port on the mainboard (the correct drivers are installed).
But my initial question remains: Why does the Setup-Software work correctly but the QC-software won´t connect and gives the error message. So they should be able to communicate and I guess it could be a software-issue.
Are there any earlier versions of the QC-software available?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: