Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kalart Victor 70-15 external amplification

Author Topic: Kalart Victor 70-15 external amplification
Brian Elm
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2019 11:21 AM      Profile for Brian Elm   Email Brian Elm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to amplify the sound coming out of the Kalart Victor 70-15 into a integrated amplifier (100 watts) into (2) Altec speakers, is this possible?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-03-2019 11:37 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is possible with a few important caveats:

You MUST use a transformer-isolated setup between the speaker output and your line input on the integrated amp. Simple resistor based devices (commonly used to add external amplifiers to older car stereos) will not work safely in this case. You can do it by finding a device specifically made to work with older tube equipment or by using a separate 8 ohm primary to 1kohm (or higher) audio transformer AND one of the devices used for car stereos.

Once connected, power up the integrated amp at a low volume, and then the projector at low volume. While playing a film, slowly increase the projector volume until you hear sound, then raise the amp's volume a bit. Raise the projector's volume a bit and so on. What you are going for is the best compromise of signal to noise, i.e. the best sound with the least amount of hiss and hum from the projector (also without distortion or crackling from overdriving the amp's input stage.) Once you find that "sweet spot" on the PROJECTOR's volume setting, mark it and use it as the reference point. Then only use the amp's volume to set your desired volume for each film.

Too bad you weren't looking for Kalart parts about 20 years ago, a colleague of mine purchased about 50 Kalarts from a school in Southern California. Guess who had to go pick then up? [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Brian Elm
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2019 12:11 PM      Profile for Brian Elm   Email Brian Elm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this isolation transformer similar to this setup?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Isolation-transformer-upgrade-for-old-guitar-amps/

Just found a 70-15mc3, it was in just good condition and cost me $665, the first one I purchased was in excellent condition and cost $550.

The marc-300 bulbs are getting scarce and the 350's I can't find any of those anymore.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2019 12:13 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the projector is concerned, it doesn't matter if the amplifier
is 10 or 100 watts or how many speakers you are driving. Your only
concern is the signal going INTO the amplifier.

While I have seen the output of a 70-15 plugged directly into a line level
input of the room amp of a local library meeting room, and it seemed to
work OK for them, I would do it slightly differently to avoid grounding
issues & hum problems.

What I've done, on several occasions when I've needed to do a quick
hookup of a 16mm projector into an external amplifier is to use an
inexpensive ground loop isolater, similar to the one below.

Most of the Kalart projectors used a Cinch-Jones type connector, so
you'll have go get one of those, or cannibalize a Kalart speaker cable
and change the RCA plugs on the isolator or buy the necessary adapters
to work with whatever connectors your amp input has got.

> The signal needs to go into a LINE LEVEL input on the amp.
> The volume knob on the projector needs to be set pretty low to
avoid overdriving the amplifier input.
While this usually works just fine, if you find you're still overdrivng
the amplifier, you'll need to drop the level with a simple resistance
pad you can make or find online.

Yes, I know this set-up doesn't make an ideal impedance match, but
given the limitations of 16mm sound tracks, I haven't found this to
be a big problem.

I carry a couple of these little audio isolaotrs and a complete set of
connector adapter-thingys in my "bag of tricks" and have used this
on dozens of occasions to feed 16mm projectors into room or theater
amps, and have never had any complaints about the sound.

I used to be able to get these at Radio Shack, but since
they're no longer around, you can find them online, usually
for about US$10 or less. Just make sure you get one that
uses transformers (as opposed to just capacitors) inside,
as they are usually better quality.
 -
(and you KNOW this one is good, because it says
"High Quality" right there on the label! ) [Roll Eyes]

Brian Elm
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2019 12:42 PM      Profile for Brian Elm   Email Brian Elm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Tony Bandiera Jr & Jim Cassedy for all your help, this information will help greatly in accomplishing my goal. My old father (80) is getting ready to start up a film-club here in Atlanta and this will resolve any issues with the sound quality we are aiming to achieve. My father has a cold storage facility filled to the roof with 16mm prints and a basement with rack after rack of projectors and editing equipment. While his Kalart speakers are good they might not be good enough for a larger room and why we recently purchased 2 Altec 9842-8D speakers and recently 2 Kalart 70-15mc3 Marc-300 projectors. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Just found these on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plessey-Cinch-Multicon-Painton-Jones-Bell-Howell-16mm-Projector-Speaker-Plug/323767018717?hash=item4b6204a4dd:g:aTcAAOxydlFSrujD

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-03-2019 05:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of RDL products for such things. In your case the TX-8a might be the ideal choice:

https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=666

It provides speaker->line level conversion AND transformer isolation all in one step.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-03-2019 06:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do this with a home-made changeover switch box (just a regular DPDT switch) that connects two speaker outputs from two projectors to a DI box to a mic preamp. This works fine, but adds noise, since the signal is being knocked down to a mic-level signal, only to go back through another preamp. With most 16mm tracks and a half-decent preamp, the noise issue is minimal. A DI box (by definition) provides transformer isolation). This won't work properly with a tube amplifier, though, for reasons that I don't remember offhand.

A better option is to re-wire the projector solar cell directly to a preamp, bypassing the projector internal amplifier. This will give the best sound quality, but also requires re-wiring the projector. This may or may not be a problem, depending upon whether you ever intend to use the projector with its internal amplifier.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: