Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Urgent...Variable speed motor/controller

Author Topic: Urgent...Variable speed motor/controller
Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be installing 2 simplex 35 mm projectors soon. I need to replace the old variable speed motor/controller. Advice?

I'm located in Montreal.

|  IP: Logged

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 04:57 PM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To start, you'll need a three phase motor and an inverter/variable frequency drive. The motor needs to be "inverter duty" or you will wear it out prematurely.

Eaton and Lense (found in Kinotons) are both reliable VFDs for this purpose. You need to be careful that everything is properly insulated or you'll get a horrible "whine" in the sound system.

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 09:51 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will this VFD work ?

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/industrial-control--drives--automation---sensors/powerxl-dc1-variable-frequency-drives-na.html

and what motor would you recommend ?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-28-2019 10:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always seen this done with AC motors and inverters, but DC motors are another option.

Or, if you don't actually need variable speed, you could replace the existing motors with fixed-speed AC motors.

There are some practical limits to the speed range that you can use. Simplexes require a minimum speed to keep the oil pump working properly, and slower speeds also cause more heat to be transferred to the film. You can definitely do 18-25fps on Simplexes, but slower or faster speeds may be problematic. especially with large lamps installed.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2019 10:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We often used the Bodine 3 phase sync motors and a Baldor or Gavazi invertor drive

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2019 04:56 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Superior Slo-Syn Motors and Slo-syn SS2000d6 . Unfortunately the latter just died and we're desperately looking to replace it.

We need 16 to 25 fps.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2019 06:49 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Boston Light & Sound used these GS-2 units on all their 35/70mm
installations for HATEFUL 8 & DUNKIRK, and I've also seen them at
several screening rooms I work at.
All the machines I've seen these installed on had Bodine 3-phase
motors, but I don't know the HP rating or which model number.

These work really well. What you see here is only the 'control head'
the actual electronics go inside the projector pedestal or console.

You'll have to do a little bit of math & programming to convert Hz to
FPS if you want it read out directly in Frames/sec as you see in my
photo, but I've had to do that with almost every VFD I've encountered.
As they say in North Korea: it's not rocket science

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2019 08:18 AM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the great info.

Do you have a contact at Boston Light and sound ? It would be great if i can get the exact model for all components.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2019 02:43 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthu,

Feel free to email me at the address in my profile and I will help you out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: