Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 1.85:1 aspet ratio lens

Author Topic: 1.85:1 aspet ratio lens
Mike McFarland
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2019 03:04 PM      Profile for Mike McFarland   Email Mike McFarland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a special lens required for projecting movies in the 1.85:1 aspect ratio? I thought it was done by cropping the print itself. Someone has one for sale on Ebay. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-25-2019 06:22 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A standard spherical lens works for the 1.85 AR, commonly known as "flat".

But a little more information would be welcome. What kind of projector are we talking about? And you've never shown a movie in 1.85 before?

Paul Finn
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2019 08:18 AM      Profile for Paul Finn   Email Paul Finn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The aspect ratio of the picture, 1.85:1 here, is "cropped" with the correct size aperture plate in the projector gate system hardware. The lens "focal length" is chosen to size the cropped picture to fit the dimensions of the movie screen. Spherical projection lenses are not aspect ratio specific and are only related in the film source picture vs. screen size picture requirements.

Paul Finn

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-26-2019 01:39 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They may sometimes refer to these lenses as '1.85' or 'flat' if that lens has actually been used in a cinema for flat. Also, maybe they do also sell the scope base lens and/or anamorphic, and then just try to discern both offers.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-26-2019 05:21 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, looks as if there are many ISCO lenses sold on ebay that carry '1.85' in their name (even engraved on the lens barrel). So, I guess that is what the thread opener refers to?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ISCO-45mm-545324-ULTRA-STAR-HD-PLUS-1-85-MC-2-4-LENS-1955/162695718589?hash=item25e16ba6bd:g:p2oAAOSw3YNXZOpE

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-26-2019 06:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to mark my lenses for their aspect ratios using a paint marker. I had a lens for 2.39 AR and one for 1.85 AR but I also had one for 1.66 AR because we showed a lot of foreign movies.

Personally, I just knew which lens was which because I installed them but one can never count on anybody else who runs the machine to know one lens from another without marking them.

Lenses are chosen for each projector based on the design of the theater. (Screen size, throw, aspect, etc.) Each lens is custom installed into each projector and a matching aperture plate is created for each installation. When everything is said and done there will be a matched set of lens and aperture plate for each projector and for each aspect ratio that the operator wants to present.

There isn't such a thing as a "1.85 lens," per se. A lens used to project 1.85 AR on one projector might not work on another projector.

Yes, I can understand why somebody would say one lens is a "1.85 lens" and another is a "2.39 lens" but, in truth, a lens is a lens as long as anamorphics aren't involved.

Mike McFarland
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2019 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike McFarland   Email Mike McFarland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for the replies! What you are saying is pretty much what I thought. I've just never seen a lens marked 1.85:1 before. It's probably just a way to distinguish between flat and anamorphic since most movies were either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. Here is the link to the Ebay item if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-movie-projector-Lens-Simplex-Century-Film-Aluminum-body-with-1-85-LENS/133175110293?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-29-2019 01:13 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the marking, " RIGHT 1.85" is a label that somebody stuck on.

Apparently, it's a salvaged lens from a dual projector setup. Whoever ran that booth marked their lenses like I used to, only they had a label printer.

It's obvious that the person selling the lens (and the lens adapter collar) doesn't understand what they have.

The one piece of critical information that you need isn't shown... The focal length. Without the focal length you have no way to know whether the lens is right for your projection system.

None of the pictures in that auction show the part of the lens where the focal length and other specs would be engraved.

It also looks like either a piece of the lens is missing or else somebody else has added an extension collar to make the lens fit inside the adapter ring. I can't tell from the pictures.

Although the price of the goods isn't too bad, I can't recommend a purchase with confidence until we know more.

At minimum, you'll need to know the focal length.

Best if you knew the model and serial numbers. That way you could look up the exact specs of the lens from the manufacturer and know, with certainty, whether the lens is what you need.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-29-2019 02:36 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "collar" doesn't look standard to me either. Maybe it was put on to fit into a "lens revolver"?

Anyway, I think that this collar is hiding the engraving of the lens that would list the focal length, type number and serial number.

Like Andy indicated, without at least the focal length, you're nowhere.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2019 08:45 AM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
The "collar" doesn't look standard to me either. Maybe it was put on to fit into a "lens revolver"?
That looks like the lens collar i used to see in simplex projectors

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-29-2019 09:19 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The collar on some older Simplex projectors sometimes has an alignment ring.

It's used as a depth stop so that you don't have to fuss around with focus each time you remove and install the lens.

There is also a pin that mates with a slot on the front of the projector to align your amamorphic lens. Again, reduces the need for fussing when you change lenses. Your focus and alignment will always be spot on.

If you have a projector that doesn't have a lens changer those rings come in handy when you need to change lenses.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2019 09:50 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FW=DA where:
F=focal length of the lens in inches
W=Width of the screen in feet (for 1.85 projection)
D= Distance from the screen in feet
A=Aperture, which for 1.85 is ideally .825"

F=DA/W, W=DA/F, D=FW/A, A=FW/D

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: