Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » High amperage on Strong lamphouse

Author Topic: High amperage on Strong lamphouse
Bill Hall
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2019 09:38 PM      Profile for Bill Hall   Email Bill Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I have a Strong Lamphouse and recently the bulb gave out on me. I replaced the bulb with a Osram 1600 WHS bulb and noticed the amperage draw was 90 amps . I lowered the setting on the rectifier to 4 and then 3 and eventually the number 1 setting and still it is drawing more amperage than what it should. I do not want to damage the new bulb or wear it out prematurely . I also noticed that the image on the screen looked washed out . Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated . Thank You Bill

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-11-2019 11:11 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong rectifier with the big clicky knob to change amperage? There are internal taps to change the range that the knob controls. But the overcurrent is odd, a 1600 shouldn't pull 90A. Is the voltage OK? A defective lamp with a shorter than normal arc gap will have high current and low voltage.
The washed out image suggests a lamp focus problem or a lamp problem, inspect the lamp and see if it looks odd.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2019 07:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like he got the wrong lamp for the setup... Please provide model od lamphouse and rectifier...

Mark

Bill Hall
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2019 10:10 PM      Profile for Bill Hall   Email Bill Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI the problem has been found . The main power wire was on the 208 terminal instead of the 230 terminal . I changed that and the amperage went down to around 67 amps so was happy for that . I then cleaned the lense of smudges and the colours came back to life for me. I am learning that there is a lot to operating a 35 mm projector . Thank you all for your replies on this site.
Bill Hall

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: