Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Irem to Strong Connection Issues

Author Topic: Irem to Strong Connection Issues
Alex Pointon
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Alex Pointon   Email Alex Pointon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone first post so please bear with,

We currently have two Strong Super 80 lamphouses powered with IREM N3-80s (which was a bad choice made by people before me as trying to run a lamphouse made for 3kW lamps with a 2kW power supply was never going to end well).

I've finally managed to acquire some new power supplies in the form of two IREM EX-100 G/3 units however I'm having trouble getting them to work and the IREM documentation isn't much help.

I've wired the three phase input and the DC output of the IREM to the Strong and powered the lamphouse, the IREM turns on however I cannot get it to produce any DC power, not even no load voltage.

I know I'm probably missing something very basic but I can't see the wood for the trees (the N3s are install almost identically and they work fine).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

|  IP: Logged

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2019 03:34 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So with the older conventional IREMs the Remote ON (2 wires, N/O or N/C) wasn't connected? Did you use the little switch on the side of the rectifier to power on the lamp?

Alex Pointon
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Alex Pointon   Email Alex Pointon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the older N3s the remote on was wired into the lamphouse switch to turn the lamp/power off and on.

But on the EX their is no provision for this, the manual merely states that upon turning on the breaker switch and turning on the power switch on the front it should provide a no-load DC voltage which it doesn't.

This is based on the manual for the EX-170G/3-US in the warehouse. If anyone has the manual for the EX-100G/3 that'd be amazing.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2019 02:39 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex, Irem are still going and I’ve found them to be very helpful supplying manuals/answering tech questions etc. Drop them an email

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-10-2019 06:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The EX100 power supply manual is also in the warehouse. Presuming you have a late-model one with the "Synoptic" panel, pay attention to page 15. There needs to be a jumper on the "emergency" terminals as that is used by a fire alarm system to turn the lamp off (if the link is broken, the lamp won't turn on. And there is the remote input as well to tell the unit you want the lamp turned on.

The Super-80 doesn't connect directly to that (without damage). You'd need a 120V relay that the Super-80 can turn on via the #5 and #6 terminals. The N.O. contact of the relay would then go to the Remote Input.

There are also configurations to be done in the Synoptic panel to activate the features you want (control current via the buttons or via a trim pot).

If you have the older design with the DIN connector, then you'll need to have the DIN connector to make the appropriate connections (terminals 3 and 5 (which are next to each other on a 5-pin DIN connector) for the remote "on".

Alex Pointon
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2019 03:14 PM      Profile for Alex Pointon   Email Alex Pointon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice, we have two of the older G models not the GM.

Didn't know about the DIN connector and helpfully the manual doesn't actually give you the pin outs.

I've bridged 3 and 5 with the remote switch in both the on and off position and still nothing.

Starting to wonder if I'm missing something very basic.

Hopefully I'll get a reply from IREM but still open to suggestions if anyone has any.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: