Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood 70mm/35mm release? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood 70mm/35mm release?
Jan Eberholst Olsen
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2019 03:12 PM      Profile for Jan Eberholst Olsen   Author's Homepage   Email Jan Eberholst Olsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any theaters confirmed for the new Tarantino movie? I will be in San Fransisco the opening weekend, would love to see it on film.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Beverly in LA has confirmed 35mm screenings.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2019 05:42 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
New Beverly in LA has confirmed 35mm screenings.

Well, that would stand to reason [Wink] .

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 02:04 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to in70mm.com The Grand Lake in Oakland, CA will be showing a 70mm print.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 02:48 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm aware of two theaters in San Francisco that have said they will
be getting 35mm prints, although there are probably more, and as
Sean said, The Grand Lake in Oakland will have 70mm, and it's
worth the trip over to Oakland to see it there. (And it's an easy
trip to get across The Bay using the BART train from SF)

I'm not mentioning by name the two possible 35mm venues, because,
one of them needs some extensive work to get its' 35mm equipment
back in shape, and I'm not sure they have time to do that by the
release date, although they might surprise me. (I can't help them
- - I'm busy working on two other projects)

- - and the 2nd venue is in much better shape, equipment-wise, but
they have nobody on staff at present who has any idea how to run film.
And I can't help them either.

But you know,there's a lot to do here in SF and Oakland, that doesn't
involve spending time in the dark. No matter what you decide to do,
enjoy your visit to the Bay Area!

Jan Eberholst Olsen
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 04:24 PM      Profile for Jan Eberholst Olsen   Author's Homepage   Email Jan Eberholst Olsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Lake seems to be the best choice, thank you very much. Do they have a white screen, or silver? I see that they do dual projection 3D, so hopefully it will be on a white screen?

If I decide to watch downtown in a modern theatre, which auditorium is the best regarding sound/image quality? Would love to avoid a silver screen.

Yes, wife and daughter traveling with me, so this will be the only cinema related stop for me on this trip.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand Lake in Oakland is absolutely worth the trouble to get to, especially if you want to see a still-intact example of classic theaters. They have the Golden Age of Cinema thing still happening, curtains, light cues and an organist. Great quality projection from two nicely maintained DP70s, and terrific sound. Of the five unique 70mm showings of 2001 that I saw last year, the Grand Lake had the probably the best on-screen image and certainly the best sound.

-

-

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 08:58 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Little Theater, Rochester's only true independent theater left, has issued a release stating that they will be playing a 1st run 35mm print day and date with the digital theaters in the area.

The Little Theater has one large screen, and a separate building right behind it, which is 4 additional screens converted from a previous facility. My mother and her family, who grew up in the city during the 60s and 70s say it used to be a mechanic's garage.

They were the last theater in the area to run new film prints of foreign and art films and fully converted to digital a few years back. I guess they retained two of their film projectors and kept them installed to run repertory films in changeover.

Beyond that, I have zero idea what they've got installed, what condition the equipment is in, and how often it gets used. They've played a few 35mm prints as part of their Saturday Night Rewind series, but a local projectionist told me they sourced most of those prints from a collector in New Jersey and the quality was questionable at best.

Their chief projectionist must be good at what she does, as she was called into service during the 70mm run of Dunkirk in LA or in California someplace, but I plan on seeing it as early as possible before anything heinous could happen to it.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2019 09:22 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately it is unconfirmed what sort of a print the Grand Lake is getting. There was talk of a 70mm and then it was 35mm for sure and possible 70mm but were told not to advertise anything film related.

I will followup when I know for sure.

Nice shots of the theatre whoever took them.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2019 01:51 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just heard that the New Mission theatre in San Francisco is getting the only 70mm print in northern California. The Grand Lake is still in the running for a 35mm print.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2019 07:39 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arclight Cinemas is getting a 70mm print for Hollywood. They will probably have 2 prints, one at Sherman Oaks as well, that's been the trend so far. Not sure how many prints they're making tho, I know Fotokem is working pretty hard on them, they've got more staff then normal over there.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-08-2019 11:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why so stingy on the damned 70mm prints? Film prints overall are expensive to create these days. How much more does a 70mm print with DTS time code cost over a 35mm print, presumably with either DTS time code and/or on-print Dolby Digital audio? It's not like anyone is having to mag-stripe anything anymore.
[Roll Eyes]

The Hateful Eight had a shit-ton of 70mm prints, along with a bunch of 70mm-capable film projector installations. But on this go-round they can't have more than two 70mm prints of a QT movie booked in the Bay Area? What the hell is going on? Are these guys on dope? I don't get it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-09-2019 02:50 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around this time, the cost for a 70mm print is anything between $20K and $30K, depending on run time and probably also the number of copies. That is "plain 70mm" without mag tracks. I'm not sure if there is still a lab able to do mag tracks out there.

Back in the days of mass-produced 35mm film, I guess the costs for the film itself were around $1000 to $1500 on average. Prices will have gone up significantly by now, but I can still order single copies of 35mm features (~2 hours) for around $2500~$3000.

Currently, the only digital audio format compatible with 70mm is good old DTS (the disc based system). It's not likely anybody will come up with a way to sync e.g. Atmos or DTS-X with a 70mm print, although it should technically be doable.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-09-2019 06:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you getting your print costs from on 70mm? 70mm film typically costs double 35mm (last I heard, anyway) and the length will be 25% longer so I get it being more than double that of 35mm and even a premium to handle but $20K-$30K is not numbers I've heard before.

The cost would be in getting the first print. That is generating a color timed IN will be where the money is to get that first print. Thereafter, it is straight up duplication (film chemicals and processing). I could easily see it costing $30K to get the first print.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-09-2019 08:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said. The Kodak motion-picture price catalog is here:

https://www.kodak.com/uploadedFiles/Motion/Products/Product_Information/Kodak-Motion-Picture-Products-Price-Catalog-US-Prices.pdf

2500' of 70mm 2383 is $723.12. If prices are similar to 35mm, the price for a print will be about double that (due to the printing labor and processing), so that makes it about $1500/reel. That makes abut $12k for a print of a 160-minute film at full list price. There is no way that Sony Pictures is paying full list price for anything. There might be some extra cost for shipping and such, but, again, a major studio will never pay full list price.

And, yes, the DTS licensing, optical (or digital) blowup, and 65mm IP/INs will be the expensive part of the process. I have no idea what DTS licensing costs now, but I could easily see the intermediates costing $3-4/foot, plus the cost of the optical work.

If there are really only a handful of 70mm prints, this seems awfully stingy. There are at least a dozen venues in the USA alone that are equipped to show 70mm properly using existing, installed equipment and which would probably be happy to get prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: