Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eiki xenon unstable

Author Topic: Eiki xenon unstable
Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2019 08:40 PM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Eiki XE300SL The xenon fires up and runs but it fluctuates noticeably. I have run it on a couple of rectifiers with the same fluctuation evident. It appears that the flame is dancing around on the annode surface.
Can anyone advise a solution?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-30-2019 10:16 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that it's either under-powered or a bad bulb.

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2019 06:14 AM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, neither. Correct voltage and current, new bulb. I have this issue with any bulb that I install

Paul Finn
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2019 08:25 AM      Profile for Paul Finn   Email Paul Finn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an arc stabilizer magnet missing or that has been moved out of position? I assume there have been no wiring changes and the DC polarity to the lamp is correct? It may also be helpful to measure the AC ripple in the lamp DC current under load.

Paul Finn

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2019 12:18 AM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul
The magnet is in place. Polarity correct. I cannot measure the ripple but the Strong rectifier that I am using gives a perfectly stable result on another projector

Helmut Maripuu
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2019 03:33 AM      Profile for Helmut Maripuu   Email Helmut Maripuu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old is the rectifier? maybe time to replace capacitors. The heat from the diodes damages the capacitors.

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2019 09:57 PM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rectifier is in perfect condition, running all other xenons with rock steady stability

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2019 04:20 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bruce
Are the bulb connectors ok ? No arcing build up causing poor connection ?
Jon

Bruce McNaughton
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2019 07:21 PM      Profile for Bruce McNaughton   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce McNaughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes all connections are solid

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-02-2019 09:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if these all check:
*replacing the existing bulb with a new bulb in this projector and and the new bulb exhibits the same problem
*this rectifier works without issue with another bulb in a different lamphouse with no issue
*all connections are tight and show no signs of any kind of physical anomalies in the errant projector
*while you can't test for AC ripple, you say the the rectifier shows no problem in another identical projector/bulb size setup, but is it powered by the same AC source in the known good operating setup? If not, check the ground integrity of the outlet that the rectifier is plugged when it is powering the bulb in the problem projector.

If all the above seems normal, then definitely check the stabilization magnet in the problem projector. Be sure it hasn't lost its flux density or that it has somehow been compromised.

If you have been able to test the bulb and the rectifier together (you have a second projector or on a test rig setup?) and the two are functioning without a wandering arc, then look to the problem projector itself for the problem. What about air flow. Is the bulb being cooled properly in the housing? Check the air flow around the bulb in the test projector (where the bulb is operating correctly) against the same in the errant projector.

Best of luck.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: