Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MTM/MTE heads compatible?

Author Topic: MTM/MTE heads compatible?
Perry Paolantonio
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2019 09:50 AM      Profile for Perry Paolantonio   Email Perry Paolantonio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an MTE MR-10036 recorder/player unit, 6-track. I picked up a box full of heads at an auction, a few of which are mechanically compatible with our unit. Some of them have MTM labels on them though (Multitrack Magnetics, not Magna-Tech Electronics).

Are these heads electrically compatible? Some are unlabeled, but have the screw posts and Centronics connector in the right location, and physically fit in the dubber. Any way to tell if these will work before firing it up and potentially doing any damage? My understanding is that there's something about the inductance of the MTE heads that makes them a bit funky.

Also, here are some of the heads that *don't * fit - any idea what machine these work in?

-

-

...some in better shape than others, a mix of about a dozen 35mm and 16mm heads.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-19-2019 11:18 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used both MTE and MTM dubbers (long time ago) and we used the same heads in both, all 35mm 6 track. The dubbers came with metal heads that wore out fairly quickly, we would install Teccon glass heads after that which - as far as I know - never wore out.
We did not need different parts for MTE vs MTM - although I may not remember this perfectly. I did install a fair number of replacement heads though, the metal ones would wear down causing the gap to open up which eliminated high frequencies progressively.

Perry Paolantonio
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2019 11:22 AM      Profile for Perry Paolantonio   Email Perry Paolantonio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Some of the heads we got are teccons, which we have several of in our other headstacks. many are metal though, but seem to be in good shape. With the volume of tape we run through them, they'll probably last forever!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-19-2019 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on if they are high impedance or low impedance heads and what your playback preamp is set for. Record is almost always low impedance. Low impedance is certainly prefered for playback as they tend not to induce any hum into the system.
You might be able to find out the head specs on the Magnatech heads from MTE in Miami. MTM is sadly no longer around, they have the best drive system and are my preferd machine, I owned a lot of them.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: