Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Suggestions for small lamp for 35mm home projector setup (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Suggestions for small lamp for 35mm home projector setup
Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2019 02:14 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Following my post a few weeks ago, I have successfully moved our Kinoton FP25D and Westrex Tower to our garage for my future home cinema.

The original projector obviously came with a xenon lamp and lamphouse but I don't want to use that as it's too powerful.

I have seen a small lamp house (500w) attached to a projector on eBay which would be perfect. Just wondered if anyone knows where something like this could be sourced (UK). For the meantime I'm going to be using my super 8 projector running with just lamp on (obviously a temporary solution)

The lamphouse I've seen is attached to the projector for sale here:

egad!

Thanks in advance

[Post edited to remove obnoxious length URL as well as quote below]

[ 07-18-2019, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-13-2019 02:26 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made one with reasonable success by chopping the lamphouse part out of an Ektagraphic slide projector. Not at all pretty but it worked. This had an 83V lamp, the projector's motor was used as a transformer apparently. I wired in a 36V transformer I had lying around to buck line voltage down.

Helmut Maripuu
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Helmut Maripuu   Email Helmut Maripuu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parts from an office video projector work well but can be dangerous. Have respect for high voltage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaeBD5rdFvI

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Epson-ELPLP12-Epson-Replacement-Lamp-200W-UHE-1500-Hour/10928662

Emiel De Jong
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2019 02:13 AM      Profile for Emiel De Jong   Email Emiel De Jong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can use a small xenon lamp for home use; see this Ebay item from the same seller. This 500w xenon lamphouse was built by Philips / Kinoton for 16mm and 35mm use. The units I have seen installed on FP20 / FP30 projectors had a sort of condenser lens between lamp and gate though, I don't see that lens in this auction.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinoton-500w-Xenon-lamp-And-Irem-Solid-State-Small-rectifier-single-phase/123762539395?hash=item1cd0d27b83:g:BVkAAOSwmlZcrOgc

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2019 03:54 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your replies.

As it's only going into a garage, maybe I don't need anything too powerful anyway like a xenon.

I found the following lamp (basically a security light) very cheap, which may help just shine some light and I could screw it to the back of the projector using the frame it comes on. Thoughts?

https://www.toolstation.com/halogen-floodlight/p13443

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2019 06:48 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think a halogen floodlight is going to do you much good. As much light as possible from the lamp must be focused onto the film and pass through to the projection lens. I would follow Dave's suggestion and look at slide projector lamps, and optical systems. The 24 volt 250 watt system in a Kodak carousel or similar projector can do quite useful work and is compact. It is also possible to adjust the spot size with a condenser optical system to optimise the light for the smaller aperture.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2019 09:26 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AGGGAAAAHHH!
A URL shortener can be your friend!
Also, I have a feeling the "URL" button on the message compose page, is there for a reason.
I wish people would learn to use it instead of posting insanely long URL's [Wink]

(Sorry, it's nothing personal, but I haven't had my morning coffee yet so I guess I'm a bit
cranky, and this is one of my pet peeves.)

[ 07-18-2019, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2019 08:55 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I agree - horrific URL! I did try and use the URL button but it didn't work (possibly because I'm using a phone rather than a PC), and then when I realised that it was a horrificly long and ugly URL on display I apparently ran out of time to edit it.

David Ferguson
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2019 08:46 PM      Profile for David Ferguson   Email David Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The URLs ebay's "share" button gives are horrible. You can actually condense them down quite a bit to just http://ebay.com/itm/<item-number>, so in this case it would be: http://ebay.com/itm/123778452420 and http://ebay.com/itm/123762539395

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2019 04:40 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
I’ve experimented a lot with this and the security lamp , although 400w , will give quite poor results as most of the light will be lost within whatever lamphouse you use. The small Phillips lamphouse Emiel suggests is an excellent choice . If you don’t want to use xenon you can cannibalise the innards of a slide projector or an OHP that uses the 36vdc 400watt lamp. The important thing is that you use some sort of condenser or reflector to harness the power of the lamp or all you will do is nicely heat up your lamphouse. Also consider LED .( I got my small Phillips lamphouse in a trade with the PPT.) Best wishes , Jon

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2019 02:44 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon

Thanks for your message. Do you use a Xenon for your setup?

With the Xenon lamp-house that came with the projector I have removed the Xenon bulb and I plan on doing the following;

- Remove all wiring for Xenon power and connections
- Re-wire the existing extractor fan to a mains plug
- Install a lamp holder on a separate plug for a 500w bulb within the existing lamphouse mirror so that the light can be concentrated down through the gate

For the lamp holder, I have been looking at a simple screw-in fitting like the following:
FoxHunter Photography E27 Bulb Holder Socket

This can then be screwed into place, with the lamp fitting going through the hold in the back of the lamp house mirror and by replicating the position of a Xenon bulb, I could use one of the following:

Photolux P2/1 ES 240v 500w Photoflood Lamp

or, for an LED alternative:

ONIVIB 54W Super Bright LED Corn Lamp Bulb, E27

Here is what the projected image looks like at the moment with just the 500w halogen security light up against the gate:

-

So I'm hoping that with a 500w bulb, as above, with the existing mirror in the lamp-house, I should be able to project a decent image … hopefully!

Steve

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2019 02:03 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe some have had success with small halogen lamps mounted in lamp houses. I think it is a A1/239 lamp. You would need to get the filament in the same position as the arc in the xenon lamp but should be quite effective although the colour temperature of the lamp would be wrong.

Hope this helps

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2019 12:58 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vintage Navitar or Elmo xenon slide projectors can often be found for $200 or less on ebay. They can be a bit awkward to mount behind a 35mm projector head but are adequate for projecting up to about a 4 to 6-foot wide picture. I used a Navitar 750 with a 5-inch f.2.8 lens for a while for my indoor movie projector until I got my ORC 1000 repaired.

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2019 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All

Still not having much luck with this.

Recently, I have tried an LED corn bulb (this one from Amazon) which seems to produces a huge amount of light!

So I inserted it into the lamp house, into the middle of the mirror in the same position as where the Xenon lamp would have been, but the output through the gate was terrible onto the screen. In fact, it was pretty much nil!

I know its not the most conventional way of doing it, but for something like this using this type of bulb, should the lamp house mirror be as close to the gate as possible for it to have maximum light efficiency through the gate?

I also purchased a couple of A1/239 lamps in another fitting, but they blew straight away!

I may have a look at purchasing a high powered slide projector for this, however I don't want to spend much more money on this if it's going to fail.

So far, the only thing that gives a decent(ish) light is the halogen 500w security light pressed up against the gate!

My early Christmas wish list is a small lamp house with a powerful lamp for a 12 foot throw!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2019 04:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reflector is designed to focus a spot of light on the aperture from a light source that is a point source
The point of light of a xenon arc is very small

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: