Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong X-60B Lamp. - Another question.

Author Topic: Strong X-60B Lamp. - Another question.
Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2019 06:35 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know where the vane switches are located in the X-60B? I cant see anything obvious - unlike the 60-C where the vane switch is mounted directly under the exhaust stack.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-27-2019 11:18 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long time but I think it's in the "duct" from the internal cooling fan.
I may have a manual somewhere but can't say for sure, or even have a good guess where I might have put it.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2019 08:09 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The internal duct looks like the only place it could be, but checking the draft of the 1 flea-power internal fan, there doesn't seem to be enough air flow to ensure safe operation of the lamp. The lamp house power switch is wired through to the mains relay in the rectifier, so I'll try to power up the lamp house tonight without the main exhaust running and see if the relay will pull in. It would be nice to have some indication of the extent to which the electrical safety system is actually working. :-)

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-02-2019 11:53 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This stretches my memory as well, but I don't recall the X-60 series having vane switches ... at least the ones I had didn't. The little blower was used to cool the bulb ends. It was not intended to substitute for a duct blower, which you must also have.

My power supply solenoids ran on 120v. I used the ceiling blower circuits for that purpose, so if the main blowers weren't on, the lamps wouldn't run. That substituted for the vane switch.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2019 03:21 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried out the Safety interlocking yesterday. Other than any possible vane switch in the auxiliary fan duct there isn't any. The rectifier contactors pulled in as soon as the lamp houses were powered on, with no main exhaust running. I've told the management of the hazardous situation.
I had a trio of X-60C lamps at a former location, and these definitely had vane switches above the reflector at the exhaust flue. One of them had lost its vane, and been disarmed, but it was still possible at that stage to get parts from Strong, so it was fitted with a new one.
I've suggested a solution similar to Jack's to the management for the current location. [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-04-2019 12:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the early ones never had a vane switch for the stack
There was a vane switch in the internal blower output area and some had inside the squirrel cage

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2019 01:46 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update.
The original 70mm spreader lenses have turned up. They were found in a void off a disused staircase, miles from the projection room, among a lot of heritage plaster and other stuff. Very dusty but undamaged. The edges of the carrier frames are keyed such that the lens assembly will only fit in its holder one specific way. Perhaps one day we shall go to the widescreen movie ball!

Also, thanks to all for the information regarding exhaust fans and safety switching. It struck me as odd that the 60B lamp houses would be sold without either built-in main exhaust fans or safety interlock wiring, but it seems that as the product line developed, more features were included.
A valuable history lesson. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: