Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 35 and oil

Author Topic: Simplex 35 and oil
Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Simplex 35, one of the silver/grey models, mounted on a 5 Star sound head I wanted some input before i start to disassemble these pieces....I know oil and Simplex go together but want to see what i should do ( i know some dont like this model but this setup was from a theater i worked in so there is a lot of sentiment with it). I get some drops at the heads of the 2 bolts that hold the picture head to the sound head. It is NOT the sight glass, gear side hole, glass cover gasket or from inside the head.

Qiuestion, do the bolt holes go all the way through to the oil pit? What should i put on the screws if i do to help prevent leakthrough? Should i put something between the soundhead and picture head? suggestions?

Many thanks in advance to all....

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2019 03:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's great you got a hold of an old friend! No, they don't go allmthe way through unless some one ram roded an extra long bolt in thise spaces. try gasket sealer, but its still eventually gonna drip... The only wayu I found to completely stop the leaks is to powder coat the main casting and back cover...

Mark
quote: Bill Duelly was the last to post

Bill Duelly
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2019 08:43 PM      Profile for Bill Duelly   Email Bill Duelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, remove the picture head, clean both surfaces of oil, apply gasket sealer all around the mating surface, bolt back down....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-27-2019 02:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only aplied it to the bolt threads and then tightened them down. If its a pre-Strong casting the oil is gonna leak straight through the bottom because pre-Strong castings are extremely porus and they are not heat treated. The later castings are excellent, but then Strong mucked up some other aspects of the projector. The old black X-L's are the worst and the most porus castings of all the X-L's. I only know because I machined off the fronts on about 50 to mount TU-2000 turrets back in the 80's and 90's. The quality on the black ones was just pathetic.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-31-2019 03:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that looks like an XL has a severe oil problem when nearly level. 5 degree up or down helps a lot (see manual for sight gauge settings). The problem has always been the 2 return-oil-holes at the bottom of the main drive bearing. I saved my XLs for steep pitch theatres.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: