Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Print of 1966 Grand Prix?

Author Topic: 35mm Print of 1966 Grand Prix?
Joe Cornick
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2019 04:57 AM      Profile for Joe Cornick   Email Joe Cornick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any 35mm prints of the 1966 film Grand Prix by MGM. Both Park Circus and the BFI don't hold it.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 05:57 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually ran the Blu-Ray converted to DCP of this title. It features a DTS 5.1 soundtrack, which was upmixed from the original mono soundtrack which isn't all that bad at all. They don't mess too much with the dialogue, but added a bunch of panning motor sound effects and made good use of the LFE track. If you don't want the remixed soundtrack, the original mono track is also on the Blu-Ray.

The image also was pretty good, probably better than any remaining 35mm print of the feature.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2019 05:21 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
It features a DTS 5.1 soundtrack, which was upmixed from the original mono soundtrack which isn't all that bad at all.
Surely they'd have created the 5.1 mix from the 70mm six-track soundtrack (which is still one of the best I've ever heard)?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-25-2019 07:04 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told it is essentially a new mix, as it uses the left and right surrounds. They might obviously have used the 6-track magnetic mix as part of the source for parts of the new mix.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2019 12:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are 35mm prints of Grand Prix here in the USA that escaped into the wild. Both domestic prints with faded Eastman Color and British IB Tech prints. I have never owned one, but years ago I saw one of the British IB's. It was spectacular.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: