Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP500 Output connection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby CP500 Output connection
Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2019 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I posted earlier about acquiring our old 35mm system for my home cinema. I've just purchased a Dolby cp500 from eBay and having a look at the output connection to amp/speakers.

Having never actually installed any equipment, can any one advise what I need to use to connect the cp500 to an amp/speakers. I see that it says to use a pheonix connector but I'm sorry to say that I don't know what that is! And how it can connect to the speakers.

I realise that this question may sound silly, but having never seen or used a cp500 setup I'm just struggling to work it out!

Any help or info is greatfully received.

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2019 06:16 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should come with the connector. It is a green plastic strip and there are hole/clamps for each wire with a small screw to close the clamp. You will need a small strait blade screw driver to open/close the wire clamp. While you do not have to it works best if the wires are tined. Images below:

-  -

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2019 06:33 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not advise tinning the wires. While it may make them easier to insert it will interfere with the bond created by the connector.

https://www.eptac.com/ask/when-to-tin-and-not-tin-wires/

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2019 04:32 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks both for your replies. Ordered a couple of connectors so they should be here this week.

Sorry, one final question - am I right in thinking that the wires coming out of the processor are connected to an input on an amp and then out to the various speakers?

For the home cinema setup I was thinking of using a Denon receiver amp (something like
Denon AVR-X250BT) or do you have a suggestion for something else?

Apologies for the questions - i can show a 35mm film with my eyes closed but I've never setup the equipment that goes with it [Smile]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2019 09:19 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Page 138 of the CP500 manual begins describing the connections you need to use in your project.
http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/manuals/DOLBYCP500.pdf

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-23-2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that this Denon AV receiver only offers stereo analog inputs:

https://assets.denon.com/assets/images/productimages/AVRX250BT/AVR-X250BT_slider5_eu.png

- Carsten

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2019 10:40 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks both ...

Any suggestions on a suitable AV receiver and what to use to connect the outputs of the cp500 to the AV receiver (RCA?)? I was hoping to use the same AV receiver for the video projector I am going to use for Bluray presentation.

Thanks [Smile]

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2019 03:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve ,

As Stephen above pointed out you need the connector pictured connected to RCA phono plugs (the number depends on whether you’re going to run digital or analogue.) Which you then simply plug into your AV receiver/ home cinema amp. You just need to make sure the amp has separate analogue inputs for L/C/R etc . The other issue you need to be aware of with CP500 is whether or not it’s configured to run in bi amp mode , if it is it will sound awful when you play it through your home cinema amp. It can be set to non bi amp very easily by moving a jumper on the main board, sorry I can’t remem the exact procedure but it’s in the manual. Jon

Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2019 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your reply. I've got some of the connectors on their way in the post and found an amp that can take multi channel RCA (Denon AVR 1908) but need to wait until payday to buy it!

Hopefully the processor works fine, but will bear that in mind about the bi-amp if the sound is awful.

Thanks [Smile]

Steve

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 09:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
I would not advise tinning the wires. While it may make them easier to insert it will interfere with the bond created by the connector.
I was just about to say that IPC standards forbid tinning of wires in threaded or clamp fasteners:

1) The connection isn't as sound because the fastener can't "bite" into the wire as well.

2) The wire is more likely to break off.

3) Tinning wires, unnecessarily, can encourage the growth of dendrites in some circumstances. (AKA: "tin whiskers.")

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-24-2019 10:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always use ferrules on wires for a terminal

Gary A. Hoselton
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2019 12:13 AM      Profile for Gary A. Hoselton   Email Gary A. Hoselton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early 1980’s a congressional committee was touring a kidney dialysis center in Washington DC and, with press cameras rolling, an artificial kidney machine commenced emitting smoke and flames. It was an older machine, and stranded wire to the power switch had been tinned and wrapped around each screw. Over some years the tinned area relaxed, the connections commenced arcing, stuff overheated, and we, the manufacturer, suffered the embarrassment of the demise of our product being seen on dinner-time TV news in the nation’s capitol. We initiated a voluntary recall and quickly corrected those of that model still in use, and received no penalties.

Regarding your new CP500, power it up and see that the display is working OK, no black areas large enough that you can't read some of it. Otherwise, a fine sound processor. You may need a software update downloaded, to latest version.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-25-2019 07:37 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
I always use ferrules on wires for a terminal
Depends on a whole lot of factors. I usually like using ferrules for stranded wire, but I often find them to be crimped badly or they choose the incorrect size, where they slide right off the wire...

Some of those clamp-style connectors nowadays also don't work right with ferrules, because they can't really get a grip on the ferrule.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2019 11:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Sean said! Also try to get the gold pated version if possible...

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-25-2019 11:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that those Phoenix connectors come in different sizes, with different spacing. I know this because I usually order the wrong ones....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: