Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replacing intermittent unit on an FP20A

Author Topic: Replacing intermittent unit on an FP20A
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2019 08:58 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ,
Does anyone remember how easy (or not,) it is to remove and replace the entire intermittent unit on an circa 1980, FP20A? It looks straight forward but I thought I’d ask first to see if there’s anything to be wary of .

Beat wishes
Jon

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-21-2019 09:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the intermmittent is really bad and that its not coupler wear? When changing one be sure to replace all the seals and I also reccomend you replace the outboard ball bearing, retime the shuter after its all back together. Other than that its not very hard. I did one many years ago on a very well worn FP-20 that was in a clients screening room.

Mark

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2019 06:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

The intermittent is actually fine , the reason I want to take it out and replace it is because I want to cut down the cabinet to an FP23 type portable . The FP20 has been lying around for ages with little prospect of use but if it can converted to a portable (separate film transport / base etc,) then I can use it in halls for film society type screenings.

I’ve removed everything except the intermittent, but it really needs to be gone before angle grinding the cabinet down to size . I know I’ll have to replace the inverter and re locate the sound PSU , but it seems very doable . So what I need to do is remove the entire intermittent assembly and replace once modified .

Jon

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2019 06:48 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you can't find a used fp10

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2019 04:09 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They’re like unicorn’s teeth over here , plus still quite a chunk. The great thing about an fp20 is it’s pretty small and lightweight once cut down.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2019 04:35 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BL&S used to use FP20's with the full column as portable machines [Eek!] we have road cases specially built for the column and lamphouses. Fortunately once the FP10-A came along we switched to those. Both are excellent machines but the FP10 is certainly much easier to carry!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: