Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum

my profile | my password | register | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Joker from WB to be released in 5/70mm (Page 0)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: The Joker from WB to be released in 5/70mm
Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2019 05:39 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any evidence on the print itself that it is actually a 4k film out, not just 2k?

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2019 07:45 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some theatres around the SF Bay Area are advertising in '70mm Widescreen'. From the previews I have seen'Joker'looks like It was shot in flat 1.85 not widescreen and then blown up to 70mm flat for just a few 70mm showings in the USA? No 70mm widescreen like most 70mm film roadshow prints have been in the past.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-24-2019 09:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually 1.85:1 was considered widescreen originally [Smile]
Many 1.85 films have been blown upt to 70mm in the past

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-25-2019 01:03 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ready to go...

-

-

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AFI Silver in Silver Spring, MD will show this in 70mm. They have two advance screenings this Thursday night.

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2019 11:17 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be at the Park Theatre here in Vancouver in 70mm.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2019 09:49 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Say anybody else have any other combos on the Joker I've got one can that isn't working underneath 5653

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2019 02:19 AM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the 70mm print at Arclight Sherman Oaks. Looked really nice. Projection was good, crisp and OK registration. I wish they'd put a Kinton in theater 3, but its ok. I'm so gracious for everyone involved from the really beautiful production through the very good printing from FotoKem. Excellent job all the way around, and a decent movie to boot! [Smile]

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2019 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched it at Seattle Cinerama. Rock solid presentation. Super clean print. All changeovers (happened every reel) were flawless. Cue markers were small white circles (don't know the proper terminology). Sound was rich and deep. Screen was masked for proper 1.85 unlike the recent screening for ET which it was set for 2.2 and Piller-boxed. I used to wonder what the point was for a 1.85 blow up. And now I get it. And it was not even an "action film" in the typical sense.

Bold filmmaking! Joaquin Phoenix was astonishing. Supporting cast was great. Cinematography, sound and music also impressive. Who knew Todd Phillips had this film in him?

Teaser trailer for Nolan's "Tenet" preceded the film.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2019 01:42 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tyler, I worked on that location for the tech check of this run!

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2019 01:19 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran JOKER at Alamo Drafthouse Brooklyn last weekend, WHILE the 4K was on the screen behind me. I must be honest, this is the worst 5/70 job I've seen Fotokem do yet. Colors are good, but looking at the screen behind me, was not impressed with the sharpness or render. Original file also has artificial film grain added.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2019 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned that I thought that would be the case in another film related forum. It was not even shot on film so there had to be some loss in the digital intermediate rendering. It was shot digitally and is going to look best in that format. I have seen two other Foto Kem jobs the last few years and they do leave a lot to be desired... mainly steadiness. The H-8 I watched also had a greenish cast to it. Its shit like this that will kill all film really fast. The only thing that will still be standing soon will be digital file to 35mm direct positive film out.

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2019 10:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

How's your back after bending down to that low boy pedestal?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2019 09:55 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the Alamo Drafthouse in Kansas City has a 35mm print

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2019 03:30 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are into week #3 with the Joker in 70mm at Emagine Willow Creek in Plymouth Minnesota

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: