Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Joker from WB to be released in 5/70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: The Joker from WB to be released in 5/70mm
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2019 04:09 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got word from on high that this is happening. Looks like WB is back with some 70mm releases.

On a different note even 35mm prints of Once Upon a Tine in Hollywood is in limbo at least for the Grand Lake.

|  IP: Logged

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2019 03:26 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just heard from our Booker Emagine Willow Creek in Plymouth Mn is on the list.
We are still waiting on word from Sony on 70 on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2019 07:19 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several of the sites with the BL&S H8 equipment were going to run the Joker in 70mm but heard that Warners has pulled the plug on that. Not sure what that means to locations that have there own equipment and staff to run 70mm.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2019 09:21 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got the confirmation today from our Booker,Emagine Willow Creek in Plymouth Minnesota will be playing The Joker in 70mm

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2019 09:40 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the San Francisco CineMark Century 9 won't be getting a 70mm print of the 'Joker' in Oct 2019.

Saw a 70mm film trailer at the head on the 70mm print of 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' yesterday at the Drafthouse New Mission in SF and the trailer was flat not scope. At the end It said coming in 70mm.

I guess like a few other 70mm films from a few years ago It was not filmed wide screen scope full 70mm. Seems like a waist to me not using the whole image.

Was the 'Joker' movie filmed in part on 65mm or Is It just another blow up to 70mm film print?

I think Warner Bros is cutting back on the 70mm showings in the USA because the cost involved of hiring a trained 70mm projectionist and finding good 70mm projectors plus the movie may not be such a big hit? The trailer looks very strange.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2019 09:57 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

According to imdb, the film was shot entirely on digital cameras a finished in 4K resolution. The digital cameras bit I'd buy - Arri Alexas and an Alexa 65. The 4K bit I'd hold out on till DCPs are out for the digital release. These comic book movies usually cut it pretty close to the wire on post-production.

What does that mean for the 70mm prints? I guess that all depends on your take on the modern digital sourced 70mm prints that have been floating around from Warner.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2019 01:00 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an e-mail from WB yesterday informing me of their change of
plans for JOKER's 70mm release. I'm not in a position to quote them
directly, but it's fair to say it was a budgetary decision that was the
stimulus which caused them to "change their 70mm release footprint".
quote: Chris Haller
What does that mean for the 70mm prints?
I believe all of the 22 theaters on the list I have, had their 70mm
JOKER engagements pulled. So that means that there are either 22
70mm prints with no place to go, or 22 70mm prints that won't be
printed in the first place.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-08-2019 09:31 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In principal I know it's not right to judge a movie well in advance of its release before anyone has seen it, but I have a strong feeling Joker is going to be one hell of a flop. I do not have a good feeling about the movie. The trailer currently available only makes me more sure about those feelings.

The Joker is not a sympathetic character. The trailer makes it look like the movie is building the character that way, as some wierd yet kind soul that some people crapped on, beat and abused. It still could make for logical motivation for a revenge plot but it looks like this movie is just making a mess of the whole origin story. And where are the sinister, freakish gags that were a staple of the comics? Joker would kill people with some unique poison or gas, leaving the victims' bodies with a giant creepy grin on their faces.

I think WB's move to ditch the 70mm print order could be a step at cutting costs in advance of what could be a big flop. Another clue would be how much they spend promoting the movie in the next couple or so months.

Given the movie is shot digitally and finished in 4K, the 70mm prints seem like a waste of time even if the movie turns out to be great. The prints would only serve as something to give projectionists practice handling the medium. If the production had maintained the 6.5K resolution throughout post production then there might have been some actual benefit of watching the movie in 70mm versus digital.

Movie studios and productions have a good supply of camera systems that capture well above 4K resolution. But it seems like all the extra resolution of these 6.5K and 8K cameras has about as much use as tits on a bull. The movie industry could be utilizing that technical capability and laser recording it out to 70mm to give theaters a bit of an edge. But the movie industry is really about making TV shows these days.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-08-2019 10:24 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
the movie industry is really about making TV shows these days.
Spot on. It would be like Simon and Schuster getting really heavy into publishing comic books.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2019 11:03 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Movie studios and productions have a good supply of camera systems that capture well above 4K resolution. But it seems like all the extra resolution of these 6.5K and 8K cameras has about as much use as tits on a bull.
I think the main use is that it allows them to re-frame the shot while maintaining 4k resolution. Basically they can shoot with a large "safe area" around the intended framing and then adjust it in post production.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2019 01:46 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard they are still making 20+ 5/70 mm prints and the Grand Lake and Willows are confirmed to get one each. Would not surprise me if the New Mission gets one as well. All 3 of these locations have there own equipment and regular staff to show it properly.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-08-2019 03:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there are even 20+ existing 70mm installations that normally show first-run features.

On the east coast, I know that Coolidge Corner has announced this booking and Somerville is supposed to get it as well. Both are existing installations with competent operaturs.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2019 04:20 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the Alamo locations have 70mm. I know Brooklyn does. They may have 20 or so on there own. There is the two near Dallas that Brad Miller is involved in. In the San Fransisco Bay area there is the New Mission, Grand Lake, Castro and California San Jose. Hollywood Theatre Portland. Cinerama Theatre Seattle. Arclight Hollywood and Sherman Oaks. Landmark Theatre LA. Music Box Chicago. Willows and Heights theatres in the Minneapolis area. Besides the Alamo I think there are two others in the New York area. Have to include Toronto as well in the 20+. Not that far of a stretch.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-08-2019 04:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honolulu at one time had 11 theatres with 70mm capabilities but today, there are non. Too bad!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2019 03:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It usually means the movie is in the can, been previewed, and it's not very good. So no justification to spend more money on 70mm.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: