Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Morrie Morrison Obit

Author Topic: Morrie Morrison Obit
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2019 07:21 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is with tears and very sad heart, that I convey the passing of Morrie Morrison who was the technical main stay of our largest exhibition chain. Morrie departed in the early hours of Saturday at the age of ninety, after a short period of illness in hospital.

Many of us projected the images of thousands of stars on to theatre screens but for me, the real star, was a man who would appear at the projection room door with his case of tools, when equipment seemed to defy the laws of physics. With modesty, calmness and expert diagnosis, Morrie would transform projectionists’ extreme stress into extreme amusement, with his hilarious stories and jokes.

Starting in the industry in the early 1950s, Morrie spanned the introduction of 3D, CinemaScope, wide screen, 70mm, Dolby and digital technologies. He installed and serviced the lot. Morrie continued working well into his eighties both in New Zealand and Pacific Islands. As a teenager in 1964, I was aware of Morrie’s wide reputation as a genius engineer. He even brought technical lighting and film sparkle to our Movie Balls, in the days when people danced. Let’s remember the good times.

It has been a privilege to know Morrie and to learn from him. He will always shine brightly in the hearts of many theatre staff and friends here and overseas. His funeral will be on Wednesday at 10-30am in Auckland.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: