Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong X-60B lamphouse for 70mm?

Author Topic: Strong X-60B lamphouse for 70mm?
Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2019 05:02 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.
Does anybody know how to configure a Strong X-60B Lamphouse for 70mm? I'm trying to discover how to adjust the spot size for the 70mm aperture. Is it just a matter of adjusting the lamp focus, or is there supposed to be a change of reflector, or addition of a spreader lens? There are manuals for the C and D models in the warehouse, but unfortunately not the B. (I could also use some new reflectors for 35mm projection).
Any advice will be more than welcome.
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-11-2019 07:44 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The B version is almost identical to the C, the changes are mostly electrical as I recall (B is 220V?). You add a beam expander lens for 70mm in a dual format installation, it is also a UV filter. A metal box thing screwed to the front of the lamphouse to hold either a UV filter plate or the beam expander. For dedicated 70mm use I think you could change the distance to the aperture... and maybe just a lamp position change would suffice. For high power lamps with the metal collector, the UV filter is recommended as without it the film color bleaches out pretty quickly. Probably not an issue (if film was still used) with current releases lasting a week or two but when a movie could play for many weeks, prints would get badly faded. Since presumably you want to show archive prints (what else is there?) you should have a UV filter.
Naturally those Strong filters and expanders are NLA, but maybe BLS or someone still has some.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-12-2019 10:12 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually found i had more light just defocusing the lamp than with the beam spreader

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2019 08:22 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave and Gordon for your advice.
The pair of X-60B's I am using has a housing for a drop-in lens attached to the front of the snood. It does look well made, but probably locally, not OEM. The spreaders, if any, are long gone. The reflectors are glass cold-light type. I'll have a play around with lamp focus and lamphouse position when there is an opportunity. I've be told of a number of situations where defocusing the lamp was the preferred method, even if the spreader lenses were available. Will also investigate a UV filter to protect the film. Fortunately 70mm screenings will be quite some time into the future, not "later today" - the way the 35mm was scheduled.
Thanks again for your help.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2019 10:31 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supplementary question. Does anybody know where the vane switches are located in the X-60B? I cant see anything obvious - unlike the 60-C where the vane switch is mounted directly under the exhaust stack.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: