Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 Power Supply Failure

Author Topic: CP500 Power Supply Failure
Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2019 02:20 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power supply in one of my CP500s has failed with a loud 'crack'. As I am ok with a soldering iron I would like to have a go at repairing it.

Just looking for some advice where to start. Before failure the PSU produced a high pitched whistle for a short time. It also appears that the fuse located in between the two large capacitors has blown.

Thanks in advance for any advice

|  IP: Logged

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2019 04:16 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve when my CP650 failed (miserably) I put my CP500 back in service and purchased two more for spares. If memory serves me correctly I paid $150 for the two on an Ebay auction. The name of the game for our "old" equipment is spares!!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-04-2019 06:58 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A high pitch whistle often indicates a capacitor that died. The fuse melting is probably just a side effect of it causing a short circuit and with a bit of luck it prevented more components from getting fried.

But like Don indicated, you can get those CP500s for "a few bucks" on eBay, it's usually not really worth repairing them, unless you like to hobby around with your soldering iron. [Wink]

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2019 01:20 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily I have one spare that I am using now. Just really wondered if there was a component that was known to fail which may be an easy fix. As capacitors are so cheap I might give replacing them a go.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: