Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DP70 AA11 Oil

Author Topic: DP70 AA11 Oil
Bill Ryan
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2019 08:06 AM      Profile for Bill Ryan   Email Bill Ryan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,
I have just acquired A DP70 I was wondering what sort of oil I should use in it? One of the local guys recommended Tallus 46 which is a Shell product that they used to use in Vic 8’s. Your advice please.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2019 06:11 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure who made it but turbo 33 is what Western Theatrical in
San Francisco use to sell. It is a medium weight turbine oil.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2019 08:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used LaVezzi synthetic in all the machines I serviced... 30+ of them. The projectors that I had it in exhibited virtually no wear over the 15 years I was using it. No lost gears or seized intermittents. Its very similar to Shell 20 weight compressor oil except LaVezzi added in some PTFE to it.

Mark

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2019 10:54 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Philips instruction was to use Shell Tellus 37.
This is a light hydraulic oil. There are equivalents to be found on the net, but the above recommendation seems to be fine as well!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2019 11:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LaVezzi stuff was a synthetic equivelent to the shell stuff, but with the addition of PTFE particles to increase lubrication quality. There are synthetic compressor oils and synthetic aircraft lubricants that are also excellent and can be used. Synthetic is ALWAYS prefered! Here is a link to the shell tellus spec sheet. You can grab the viscosity of the Tellus 37 and cross it to equivelent synthetic.

Shell Tellus Spec Page

Paul Finn
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2019 12:17 PM      Profile for Paul Finn   Email Paul Finn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Mark G. still recommend the LUBE-V family of fully synthetic oils as has been indicated in other previous posts?

Paul Finn

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2019 01:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, if its available. Anything synthetic is beter than fossil oil.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: