Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DA20 with a cp-650

Author Topic: DA20 with a cp-650
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2019 02:12 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be running some 35 mm SRD the internal card is gone, cuz most of the time it runs Digital Cinema. what's the best way to make the automation work there's no position for a 650 on that Switch in the DA20 ,what pinouts on the da20 automation output would I use so if the SRD drops out it would revert back to 04 or 05 and then vice versa back to format 11 on the 650. I plugged a cable between the automation plug on the da20 and the one on the 650 and tried some different positions on that switch but couldn't get it to work

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 03:26 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What card is gone from the CP650? The Cat 773?

So, now you're doing SRD with the DA20?

The automation pinout of the CP650 is pretty close to the CP65. So, is the DA20 in that mode?

Also, make sure buttons 04,05,10 and 11 match their original formats.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2019 03:31 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's the 773 cuz when you go to format 10 it says format unavailable .when I get back to work this week, I'll give that a try ,setting it to cp65 I kind of thought I did but I'll retry

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2019 01:03 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Automation should be about the same as a cp500. I would try that. Sam Chavez has new SRD cards for the 650.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 05:36 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stephan, I do indeed have quite a few Cat. No. 773'a. I'm curious whether the card is missing altogether, or in place but defective.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 06:03 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new Cat #773 would probably be the cleanest solution. Officially, the DA20 doesn't support the CP650, but that doesn't mean it will never work.

The CP650 uses pin 2,3,4,5 for format 04,05,10 and 11 respectively. Which are the same as the CP65.

It's been a while, so I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think it also reads pins 15 to 18, as to establish the status (current format) of the processor.

Keep in mind that the automation virtually pushes the buttons, if you've assigned different formats to the buttons than what they're labeled, this might also cause problems.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2019 08:58 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam and Marcel, Sam it did have the 773 in them, cuz we have several 650s between the 8 Theaters complexes I was told to remove them during the digital install that it wouldn't work correctly with that card in it , so I learned something new.
also I think we met, you came up here with John wolski back in the Cineplex days around 1989-90 for a seminar at the theater & the Willow Creek was the first one in the Twin Cities Market to have eight Dolby houses. been here at the Willow Creek ever since so it's been about 30 years. Emagine owns it now.
run 70 pretty much on a regular basis and we're going to do some 35 mm now

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 10:14 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

I wish I could recall all the great folks I met over the years. I did a lot of screenings and setups all over Chicago including all the way to Calumet City. That name is in my head forever because I took a cab all the way there from O'Hare after a blizzard on account of no rental cars. TAP and THX were not too happy to see $120 '80's money one way cab bill with tip on my expense list.

I'm not why someone told you to take the 773 out, but you must have a little pile somewhere.

Feel free to contact me if you need to.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2019 12:24 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, yeah I thought that was strange at the time too but I just followed what I was told to do ,my boss must have got some wrong information we did the whole digital conversion ourself between all eight theaters over 100 screens say if you ever run into a Simplex 35/70 let me know I'd be interested I want to put in a change over system that Cineplex theatre only had one of them heads that's what I'm currently running at the Willow Creek, in Plymouth Minnesota I wish I had double AA like the other theater that I help out at.
I did keep all the old Dolby equipment we had over the years we had the full range except for the 100s I worked with some of them processors over at Plitt

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-10-2019 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
That name is in my head forever because I took a cab all the way there from O'Hare after a blizzard on account of no rental cars.
Sam, You are thinking of Don Helgeson who was a local 110 operator and sort of technician. I believe he still lives in Skokie...

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-10-2019 10:16 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

I do remember Don but I was recalling Calumet City as a place as it is a rather unusual name. It's also the name of a baking powder as I recall. Just being whimsical.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2019 11:44 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want we could probably rent or loan you a cat. 773 card?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: