Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Setting up a cinema in UK that only shows 35mm?

Author Topic: Setting up a cinema in UK that only shows 35mm?
Joe Cornick
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2019 12:57 PM      Profile for Joe Cornick   Email Joe Cornick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a 17 year old projectionist, I feel I've arrived on the 35mm film scene sadly a little late. But through some connections, I've been given the opportunity to set up a cinema In my local village hall that has a projection booth. I've installed a century projector twinned with a Westrex tower and a Dolby Digital system. Now I just need to find a screen and Speakers for the cinema. Would anyone know of anyone/where that is looking to sell/re-home any of these? Even just some advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

|  IP: Logged

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2019 10:56 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The average customer gives a "sh.." about 35mm and what are you going to run? Almost none of the 35mm goodies are there for screening and the popular prints people will come to, are top dollar these days..

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the UK market, but there are plenty of resellers of refurbished cinema equipment, many of them can be found on Ebay.

Then again, how do you get 35mm films? And what kind of programming do you want to run to make it sustainable?

The most remaining 35mm operations around the world are either boutique operations with a certain name and reach or non-profit operations like a film museum.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 11:42 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, fortunately, screen and speakers are universal, and all the 35mm stuff is already there. What about amplifiers?

You can certainly buy second hand stuff, but, you need to define your needs based on auditorium/screen size. While speakers are universal to a certain extent, buying used screens often involves a decision towards unsuitable dimensions. Also, many used screens are dirty, spotty, clogged. Most people would say that a second hand screen should only be considered if it comes for free or pick-up.
Clearly, a perforated screen is the best choice for sound, so, cheap alternative screen solutions come with a penalty as well.

Does this operation need to bring in money (e.g. to pay a rent)?

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-09-2019 08:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
The most remaining 35mm operations around the world are either boutique operations with a certain name and reach or non-profit operations like a film museum.
And they have a reputation and standing with the few remaining holders of 35mm release prints, which basically means the big nonprofit archives, plus a few prints held by the major commercial distributors for special occasions. In the UK, this means the British Film Institute National Archive, which has both a nonprofit restriction (as a FIAF member institution, it cannot loan its prints for commercial screenings), and an absolute ban on cutting the heads and tails of their prints. So a single projector plus tower setup would not be allowed to screen them. It might be possible to build up contacts among the private collector community, but that would take time, and you'd also have to license the screening rights as a separate transaction from obtaining the physical print, which would make each show very expensive to put on.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2019 03:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BFI has what they call a 35mm ‘distribution list,’ which has quite a few good rep titles . These are generally available to anyone wishing to screen them with the usual contractual obligations. These prints tend to be release prints and can be joined together and ran on a platter or tower as opposed to their archive prints for which they apply strict criteria when loaning them out.

We ran a couple of 35mm only festivals about four years back and we had no problem obtaining a good selection of titles . Whether you could make a living out of it is another question.

Also Park Circus still hold quite a lot of 35mm as far as I know .

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-11-2019 09:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe - as they are not too far away from you - give Harkness a call, they may have something on special offer, a return, whatever... Also, you may be able to save some money by picking the screen up there.

http://www.harkness-screens.com/contact-us

Are you okay with a screen that is fixed and can stay there, or do you need a mobile screen that can be put up on the occasion - if it's a multi-purpose venue?

- Carsten

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2019 04:26 AM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, can confirm that Park Circus have kept a decent amount of their 35mm, including plenty of "classic"-type films. Studios they don't distribute for (e.g. Universal, Lionsgate, eOne) do also have a few prints knocking around.

It's probably worth noting that, at least in our experience, hiring 35mm prints is (at worst) no more expensive than DCP (so long as your courier is per-case and not charging by weight), so if you've got the equipment and the interest (if you want it to pay you a wage that's another issue, but I'm imagining some kind of community cinema/film society sort of thing) then I don't see any reason not to show at least some 35mm.

Feel free to drop us a line if you've any questions about getting started in the UK. We're a film society up at Warwick Uni and we still show a fair bit of film, though we'll probably not be able to be too much help on the spare equipment front.

Paul Shuttleworth
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2019 11:12 AM      Profile for Paul Shuttleworth   Email Paul Shuttleworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days it is very difficult to attract patrons to 35mm screenings as the majority of desired films are now on digital.

Have you asked PPT or CTA? They may know someone who has some screens and speakers in storage.

Have you got a rectifier and have you handled film before?

From a projectionist with 10 years experience...

Jacob Pearson
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2019 07:40 PM      Profile for Jacob Pearson   Email Jacob Pearson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I may be able to sort you out with some speakers. I will message you.

Jacob Pearson
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2019 09:09 AM      Profile for Jacob Pearson   Email Jacob Pearson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Private message sent.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2019 09:10 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi - sounds like an interesting project. We've got garages full of 35mm projectors and used sound kit - happy to work out something for you, also rental of DCI kit if you find 35mm a bit restrictive long term. Give us a call - in the office Monday - pop up for lunch sometime ? - Peter, Future Projections (West Norwood so not a million miles away). Always keen to help out new operators, especially if they favor a splicer over a laptop..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: