Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Pageant - audio noise/distortion

Author Topic: Kodak Pageant - audio noise/distortion
Michael Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Michael Robinson   Email Michael Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The potentiometer for the volume control creates terrible distortion thru the speaker when ever it is adjusted. Volume doesn't seem to increase or decrease, just loud distortion.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Michael

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2019 09:22 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried cleaning the potentiometer? Sounds like a bad pot that's grounding out.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-18-2019 10:35 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check the tubes if it has any, make sure they are fully seated in the sockets (might be a good idea to pull and re-insert them a few times to break up and corrosion in the contacts or tube pins.)

If it is solid state and not tubes, or of the tube trick doesn't work, start looking for bad electrolytic caps, they will cause problems if they have dried out.

Michael Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2019 09:06 AM      Profile for Michael Robinson   Email Michael Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2019 04:05 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 1970's I worked part time in the AV Department of a large college
on Long Island maintaining their large collection of Pagent Projectors & which
were my least favorite machines to work on.

The two most common causes of lousy/distorted sound that I recall were:
1) Noisy volume control. They really used cheap pots in those projectors!
We often replaced them with ones from Radio Shack, which
were probably equally inexpensive, but much better made.
2) The output transistors seemed to slowly, rather than suddenly,fail.
We often suspected thermal aging/failure due at least partly to the fact
that we almost always found the heat sink compound Kodak used had
almost always dried up in to an almost epoxy-like mass that blocked
heat better than transferring it. ( I think this was corrected in later models)

The transistors were common types that I think we used to order through
Lafayette Electronics, since we weren't too impressed with Kodak's choice
of electronic components in general.
The circuit boards in some of those Pagents definitely didn't seem of a
quality one would expect from Kodak. Some of them looked like they'd
been designed & etched in someone's basement as part of a science project.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-01-2019 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Back in the 1970's I worked part time in the AV Department of a large college
on Long Island maintaining their large collection of Pagent Projectors & which were my least favorite machines to work on.

I was also in a similar position except for a large school district in the Chicago burbs. We had well over 800 16mm projectors and about half were Pagents. Most of the rest were Eiki and a few B&H which we did not bother to fix and instead replaced with Elmos. The Kodaks were very easy to work on once out of the case. No more difficult than the Eikis and the Kodaks were uber easy on the Districts film library content. Yes, the amps were cheesy but they worked ok. I actually do not rmember ever repairing an amplifier in a Pagent.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-12-2019 02:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just dug 2 Pageants out of the "Fix These" bin. Both had the same scratchy, dirty audio that you describe. All I did after maneuvering the amp out of the case and before going thru the hassle of fully replacing the pot, I just force-sprayed the fabulous Caig DeoxIT Gold contact cleaner & lub into the pot's connection openings...let it sit there for 10 min minutes then worked the contact wiper turning it back and forth a bit and the static & scratchy noise just disappeared. Give it a try before going thru lots of agita pulling and replacing that pot. But no doubt, it is that pot that causes the noise.

Helmut Maripuu
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Helmut Maripuu   Email Helmut Maripuu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDF9jqRy3U0

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: