Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Double Mut GE Mina gear motor - gear box lubrication

Author Topic: Double Mut GE Mina gear motor - gear box lubrication
Robert Sobin
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2019 01:51 PM      Profile for Robert Sobin   Email Robert Sobin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone know what type of oil lubricant was used in the DC GE Mina gear motor gear box that was used with the Eprad double mut? I have a couple of these motors and they need to be re-lubricated. Info on the internet is scarce.

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2019 11:47 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bodine and minarik worm drive gearboxes use 85-90 wt gear oil. some earlier ones used 140 wt gear oil if in warmer climates. in a pinch you can pack the gearbox with short fibre grease or lubriplate grease. if the box has a zerk grease fitting use only grease not gear lube. use light oil in cups on output shafts if so equipped.

Robert Sobin
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2019 12:51 PM      Profile for Robert Sobin   Email Robert Sobin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John,
I have attached pictures of the motor which I haven't put into service yet since acquiring. The inside of the gear box looks like it was used with oil instead of grease. However the red plug on the gear box lid is not original and I don't know what type of fitting was there originally. I am guessing that I would not want to use a gear oil that is used in low slip automotive applications (differential). These types are more readily available in small volume.

-

-

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2019 09:28 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would go with 14wt gear oil. if the shaft seals leak then replace with short fibre grease. have fun!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2019 07:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd use Mobil-1 synthetic gear lube 90 weight. I used that stuff in hundreds of gear boxes and never had to rebuild any. It lowers friction considerably.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: