Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wenzel "Ace" and Ballantyne model 6 soundhead. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wenzel "Ace" and Ballantyne model 6 soundhead.
Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2019 01:51 PM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
I am trying to put together a home 35mm setup. I am probably able to purchase either one or 2 Wenzel Ace projectors mounted to Ballantyne model 6 soundheads.

I am wondering how hard it would be to get the set going again after sitting for decades. I know I am going to have to clean out all the old oil and grease and relube. The Ace projectors are simplex standard clones. I know that the Ballantyne model 6 soundheads are not exactly the greatest and parts are nonexistent.

I have never worked with 35mm proper though I have a small 16mm collection and I restore all sorts of mechanical antiques mainly 1890s typewriters. Is this a avenue I should purse or should I look into other options.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-20-2019 11:47 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ethan, welcome to Film-Tech.

I hope your purchase price is really cheap...beware of the ebay sellers who say they're "antique" or "vintage" and charge accordingly. Yes they are old, but not worth a lot of money. (Truthfully, most film equipment isn't worth much now anyways.)

They were very nice machines but you'd be better off finding later model projectors, and stay away from Ballantyne anything. (A lot of it is crap.)

Most of the other brands (Simplex, Century, RCA, and Motiograph) still have limited parts availability, but you can still find parts for them (mainly through private parties.)

And if you want to play back your sound in stereo, even stereo cells are still obtainable for Simplex, Century, RCA and Christie. If you want reverse scan readers, most of the above can still be found, even new.

You also need to consider the light source..are you going to run a low wattage Xenon or try to adapt another light source? I have a few Xenon lamphouses available that can do 1-2k lamps. You would need to find a suitable rectifier though. (And most magnetic rectifiers will require three phase 208-240 volt power, though some magnetics and most switcher types can do single phase 208-240.)

Others will also chime in with advice and recommendations, so you'll learn a lot on here. [Smile]

Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2019 06:56 AM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya they would be dirt cheap. I would basically be paying scrap value for them. There is a Century C up in the booth of this theater where they are located. It has a soundhead mounted to it. There are several Simplex E-7s and a few XL/35s but no soundheads. I am going to look in another spot for some more soundheads though. There are more projectors then soundheads. There is also a large parts rack with hundreds of parts. I am going to go through them and see what I can find.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-21-2019 08:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would avoid the Ballantyne model 6 as there is no reverse scan kit for it and the gear box is terrible and the ace is a simplex standard knock off
I would look at the simplex XL

Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2019 09:04 AM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should also mention that Century C in the booth has the newer readers installed and last ran 8 years ago.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-21-2019 10:06 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ethan Singree
Ya they would be dirt cheap. I would basically be paying scrap value for them. There is a Century C up in the booth of this theater where they are located. It has a soundhead mounted to it. There are several Simplex E-7s and a few XL/35s but no soundheads. I am going to look in another spot for some more soundheads though. There are more projectors then soundheads. There is also a large parts rack with hundreds of parts. I am going to go through them and see what I can find.
Since you're basically saying scrap value, it is not a bad idea at all.

If you can get the Century C setup with updated readers, do it. The readers alone are worth it.

If the Century's soundhead has an intermediate gear between it and the projector head, IIRC you can even put one of the Simplex heads on it with the right replacement gears. Been years since I dealt with it, maybe Gordon or John Eickhof could confirm if it is possible.

Finally, if you can find a Simplex sh1000 or "5 star" soundhead (belt driven) available somewhere those would also be a great choice. The 5-star isn't the greatest, but if you search the FT site there is a modification that will make it better.

The Simplex XL would have the best availability of parts even today. (And if you can pick up a spare head in the deal and have the space to store it, do it.) Though with the spare parts rack you mentioned, it may be better to sort through that.

Another thought: Regardless of what projector you get, make an offer on the full lot of the spare parts. You can probably recoup a lot more than you spend if you have the time to inventory the parts then resell them on our for sale forum here.

Are you getting any lamphouses/rectifiers as part of this deal?

Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2019 11:10 AM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several lamphouses in various states of disrepair Strong, Motiograph, Brenkert and Peerless carbon arcs and Christie and Eprad xenons. THe xenons take 240v power as far as I know. All are in the 2k-3k range I think. A bit big for a home setup. I was going to build my own lamphouse with a halogen bulb like the 16mm projectors use.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2019 12:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wenzel Ace is the same gear train as a Standard or Super Simplex.so the gears, provided they are spiral bevel, and most shafts are all interchangeable. If the projector gearing is straight bevel it's ok as log as ou have a parts machine. The model 6 sound heads are pretty much an eh. Not adaptable to reverse scam at all. Your best bet is the Century projector in its entirety. Parts are still so,ewjat easy to obtain. You should replace 7 bearings in it first. Use Superlube on the gearing and 20 weight non detergent oil in the intermittent.

Mark

Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2019 05:37 PM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which 7 bearings would you replace in the Century C.
Are they nominal sizes that I can get at a industrial supply store or are the a nonstandard size.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2019 06:02 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are two different bearings used on the c, both are metric bore and can be hard to find (BG-6 & BG-9) so look for these numbers in the parts lot. there are two BG-9 on the shutter shaft, two BG-9 and one BG-6 on the vertical shaft and two BG-6 on the main drive shaft. i can't remember thecommercial part numbers anymore, getting too old i guess! can you post a picture so we can see what model soundhead ? there should be a nameplate indicating the model, ie: R-3, R-6, ETC.

Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2019 06:29 PM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have any photos of it. I should be back out there saturday. Looking at the parts diagram for the Century I think there is a NOS gate out there among the parts stash.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2019 02:27 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like everyone else said take the century C machine and its soundhead. No brainer.

Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2019 08:36 PM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will see about getting it this Saturday. I will also look through the parts stash and see if I can find parts that belong to it. I think there is another Century C that is partially taken part with no soundhead that I may be able to throw in on a deal as a parts machine.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-22-2019 10:35 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a good idea. As I mentioned before though, try to get the full parts stash. Since no one really has any new stock of the older machine parts, if you can spare the space (and catalog it thoroughly when you first get it) you can, over time, recoup enough money to make it worth while.

Ethan Singree
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2019 06:53 AM      Profile for Ethan Singree   Email Ethan Singree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I eventually did get this Century C mounted to a SH-1000.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: