Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Westrex 7000 to be placed on rails - Recommendations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Westrex 7000 to be placed on rails - Recommendations?
Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2019 10:56 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to get our DCP in a fixed position (at the moment it is on wheels!) I need to get one of our 35mm projectors placed on a rail system (there is one either side of the DCP projector). Ideally, the rails would have a lower profile as possible.

Any recommended linear rails systems?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2019 03:05 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
F. Powell & Co offer systems like that. Also Kinoto Digital Solutions.

Not cheap though. Is it really worth spending ££££ on?

Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2019 04:51 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Pete. It is possible to get all the projectors in the space, side by side and operational but the left 35mm projector would have its right side sandwiched next to the DCP. So that is where the rails come in.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-17-2019 11:24 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO it would be better to set up the DC projector as moveable (and a LOT less costly) and it would be an easier add-on since yours is already on wheels.

Simply install locating pins on at least three corners of the DC base. Drill holes in the floor once it is aimed correctly, and attach the pins (you can use the gate latch style of sliding pins) to the base.

Roll the projector in place, drop the pins into the holes and you will get perfect alignment every time.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2019 04:35 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to give some thought to the same issue. We have enough space for three machines with room for the operator beside them, but need to accommodate four, and there is also some competition for the centre line to take into account. (Digital wins over 70mm .Because of the great precision which can be achieved aligning the DCP projector to the screen it seemed to be better to have it fixed in position, and arrange for a film projector to move instead. There was also the assumption that a film projector would be more rugged than our D-Cinema machine, and more tolerant to movement. As yet there has been no need to commit.

Ideally all the equipment would be fixed in position and immediately available, which led to some ideas about arranging the machines one above another, or staggered sideways to keep them as close as possible to centre.

At one stage we had a ceiling mounted video projector in the bio-box, but bringing it down for service access was a nightmare so that is something we wont repeat. Everything will stand on the floor one way or another.

Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2019 03:35 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers for the responses.

Tony - So, that is my situation at the moment. The DCP is on wheels and has pins but i am trying to move forward and have the DCP fixed as it will be used the most, and hopefully, eventually, will be used for grading and more alternative content. So it makes sense having it central and in a fixed position.

Phillip - Sounds like exactly the same issue. The 35mms are used much less at the moment and this will likely reduce as time goes on. The hope is to use the Sony 4K for grading - So central and as accurate as possible is a must.

Is there a particualar type of rail that you guys have been looking at?

https://gsfslides.com/4080-lgb032-linear-rail-lgb32-precision-hardened-compact-raceways/

?

*update - just seen this - "The LGB32 Rail with carrier fitted has a height of 32mm and a width of 28.8mm."

[Big Grin]

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2019 05:34 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan - I have not had to consider choice of tracks so far. Obviously the flattest profile available would be best if they have to be laid on top of the floor. Precision side guides would be a big plus. Some provision for accurately leveling the track when it is installed would also be important.
A track system would probably imply that a straight run is available from the operating position to the storage position. In our case we would most likely have to run the machines diagonally back from their operating position, with a set of tracks in a vee configuration - one pair of rails for each machine.
The required speed of access to any given machine would be the deciding factor for me.
If for example you had to move the 35mm projector to thread it, then move it into position to project the next reel an so on, a precision track would be the only way to set it up - working "blind" so to speak. There's no reason why this couldn't be made to work reliably if all the wiring and exhaust flue can remain connected as well.
I have had some success with a 16mm projector and rectifier mounted on a wheeled trolley without locating pins. For several reasons I could not use pins, and instead used targets drawn on the projection room floor to line up the leveling feet under the trolley. Only a minute or two of screen time was necessary to check alignment focus and sound, but that time had to be available. A routine of counting the turns on adjustment screws etc was enough to preset the thing quite near the right spot across three different screens in a multiplex. Scheduling forced me to do it "blind" on a couple of occasions but I got away with it, with a bit of a nudge to get rid of a furry edge. A well considered set of targets or even a docking system for the trolley should make for good repeatability.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2019 11:05 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little while ago I hired some equipment to the National Theatre in London for a production called 'The Flick', they mounted the projector on rails as it had to be moved out of the way during the performance. I am not sure exactly what they used but I suspect it may have been something like sliding gate tracks.

I am actually thinking of doing something similar in my home cinema and have been looking at this website.
https://www.metalines.com/en/454-ground-track

The fact the track is V shaped I would imagine positioning will be fairly accurate.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-20-2019 01:42 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We put one of the 35 mm machines and the digital on rails last year. the left 35 mm is fixed, the right one is on rails, normally right next to the left one, at the far left of the rails and the digitalis almost perfectly aligned with the screen. to use 35 mm the digital is moved to the far right of the rails, and the second 35 mm is moved into position close to where the digital was. It takes about two minutes to change from one to the other. The rails are 3 metres long.

The rails mount on the surface of the floor, so no chasing of the concrete is needed, bur the surface of the rails slopes up and down, so it would be difficult to trip over them. The top of the rails is probably about 15 mm above the floor, and the top of the platforms on which the projectors stand probably about 75 mm.

I can send a picture if you're interested.

The company just supplied the rails and platforns; we installed them ourselves.

Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2019 03:10 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses. Does anyone know the approximate weight of the Westrex 7000 or your average 35mm projector?

250kg?

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2019 09:26 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I weighed a Kinoton FP30 once, think it was about 170kg (without lamp house)

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2019 09:41 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's answer is pretty accurate.
I had to temporarily move an FP-30D recently, & according to the manual,
the un-crated weight is 140kg. (Or appx 308.6lbs, for people like me who
need to keep a metric calculator handy) [Roll Eyes]

Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2019 01:50 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right.. I think these are the rails i'm going for.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-guides-guide-blocks-carriages/3113698/

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-guides-rails/3113761/

Just over £400 in all for four carriages and two 1000m rails.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-24-2019 11:00 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some nice rails and carriages, not too bad on the price either.

On first glance, I was questioning the ability to carry the weight (it doesn't help that the give the specs in "N" and "Nm" rather than kilograms) and the idea of the polymer wear glides. I would imagine that, over time, the carriages will wear, and possibly unevenly (since most projectors don't have the same amount of weight bearing down on all four corners.) That could pose alignment issues.

But I guess that, depending on how many times a day/month/year it is moved, it wouldn't really matter as it would take a very long time for appreciable wear to occur. (I wouldn't really want to use this system on a setup where it has to be moved many times a day though.)

One theatre I serviced years ago wanted to have the surround speakers on some sort of lifts to hide them behind a 1/2 height perimeter wall when the films where't running. Back then I did eventually design and test a system that would do the job, but the linear bearing system available back then was very expensive, and the support structures had to be precisely made out of aluminum plate, so the cost per lift was way out of line.

With this system I can envision a very simple design, even allowing multiple speakers to be lifted with one motor and a simple cable drive.

Dan Judge
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2019 05:01 AM      Profile for Dan Judge   Email Dan Judge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1000Kg Y and 500kg Z apparently! I was surprised at this too.. I am dubious but on paper they seem to tick all the boxes.

Typically, the projector will be moved around four times a year..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: