Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Disks hack (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: DTS Disks hack
Gorges Gorgero
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2019 02:56 PM      Profile for Gorges Gorgero   Email Gorges Gorgero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello friends, I have several DTS discs in several languages ​​of the same movie, I have verified that the id number of the movie is different in each language, so you can not play a disc with a movie from another country.
I use foobar2000 to play the aud files and see the id number.

Does anyone know how to change the id number of the aud files in order to use the audio dts in a movie from another country?

Does anyone know how to connect the DTS reader the projector to a computer or player to play the audio from a disc?

And the most difficult thing, someone has studied to remove the audio of a bluray DTS and try to put it in a DTS disc to reproduce it in the processor?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-12-2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that the only realistic option nowadays is to convert the original DTS discs into wav and try to find a sync mechanism between a projector and a PC audio player. Do you have a real DTS timecode reader, or a DTS player? I guess mere mortals won't get a chance to create DTS discs that play on DTS hardware players.

- Carsten

Gorges Gorgero
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2019 04:24 PM      Profile for Gorges Gorgero   Email Gorges Gorgero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have real 35mm DTS timecode reader.
Does anyone know how to connect the DTS 35mm reader to any player or computer?

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2019 06:34 PM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably worth mentioning that afaik the theatrical DTS (now Datasat) APTX-100 codec and the consumer Coherent Acoustics codec that appears on Blu-ray don't actually have a lot in common other than the branding. I doubt it'd be any easier to use this as a source to create theatrical DTS discs than, say, uncompressed PCM.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-12-2019 07:39 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS reader just receives power and delivers a TTL-like simple pulse signal (following the optical short/long timecode track). The DTS-6D manual has a basic schematic.
It shouldn't be complicated to feed it into available ports of common computers. Then someone would have to develop a decoder for the timecode. Not too complicated, I guess, but someone has to do it. Once you get a timecode signal, you could sync original DTS discs converted to WAV, or play a homecinema DTS/AC3 track using the same method. One would need a suitable sync point, but that should be trivial compared to the timecode decoder. It's not space technology, but it seems no one has done it. Most people seem to be fine to buy used DTS players.

I haven't seen anything on the net regarding decoding of DTS optical timecode. I would think that it is quite similar in complexity to SMPTE timecode.

Kieran - cinema DTS sound is no longer with DATASAT. They 'outsourced' it to Inventure Studios.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-13-2019 04:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gorges Gorgero
Does anyone know how to connect the DTS 35mm reader to any player or computer?
Yes, I have done this in Special Venue 15/70 systems before. You have to have a shaft encoder attached to a drive gear or sprocket on the projector and run the shaft encoder at the required number of turns per frame of film. The shaft encoder ttl output feeds the DTS Time Code Generator and the output of the generator feeds the DTS player. Its pretty easy once you get the shaft encoder turns per frame working right. you can set the required time code start time for a given movie. They are not all the same... So that part you are going to have to figure out.

Mark

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2019 10:44 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gorges Gorgero
Hello friends, I have several DTS discs in several languages ​​of the same movie, I have verified that the id number of the movie is different in each language, so you can not play a disc with a movie from another country.
I use foobar2000 to play the aud files and see the id number.

Does anyone know how to change the id number of the aud files in order to use the audio dts in a movie from another country?

Ordinarily the DTS Serial Number remained the same across various versions of a film. The only reason DTS would have issued separate serial numbers is if various versions of the movie were different *cuts* and would thus have sync problems if you tried to play a different language track with the OV picture.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-14-2019 05:51 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, that was one of the advantages of DTS - the ability of changing the language by swapping the disks.

I am curious to see this foobar software - WinAMP used to have a plugin to run non-encrypted tracks. Do you need a plugin?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-14-2019 09:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there is a foobar2000 plugin on sourceforge - it seems it can deal with 'encrypted' DTS discs as well. I don't know wether it's advisable to keep this low profile. I guess no one is using it for pirating, so, it's more for 'academical purposes' anyway...

Any opinion on that, Daniel?

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The only specific need most people want a PC player of DTS theatrical audio files is:

*Buy a bluray of a movie
*Rip the video from it
*Rip the DTS theatrical audio discs
*Marry the two in an editing program
*Export the new file
*Author a bluray disc
*Burn those files to a bluray blank (or a USB stick, etc)

Why all of this effort? It's to get rid of those godawful "near field" remixes on blurays that are the worst thing to ever happen to movie sound, yet the studios have been scammed and brainwashed into thinking they need to do it by various audio engineers and audio post-production houses desperately seeking work.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2019 02:36 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

The DTS time code generator I am familiar with needs you to re arm the generator for each reel number has this been a problem for you?

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2019 04:18 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Yes, there is a foobar2000 plugin on sourceforge - it seems it can deal with 'encrypted' DTS discs as well. I don't know wether it's advisable to keep this low profile. I guess no one is using it for pirating, so, it's more for 'academical purposes' anyway...

Any opinion on that, Daniel?

Well, I no longer speak officially for anyone involved, but as observed upthread, the old DTS theatrical format is now supported thirdhand by Inventure Studios (who have licensed the technology from Datasat, who acquired it back when they bought the DTS Digital Cinema division from DTS). I think it's all sufficiently removed from today's reality of Digital Cinema and most content being watched via streaming services anyway that no one's getting bent about someone hacking the old DTS disc encryption.

As to the *why* - Brad is probably correct when he observes it's in many cases the only way to listen to the original theatrical mix in a home theater. I don't share his antipathy towards near field remixes; YMMV.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2019 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are ever in the position of being able to directly compare a 35mm print with DTS, SRD or SDDS against a bluray near field remix, you will totally understand why the near field remixes are total garbage. [Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-14-2019 07:07 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's home video, and these discs are simply not made for people who play them on high-end cinema-type audio systems, but for mainstream flat screen tv sets and soundbars, and it does make sense to adjust them for these typical playback conditions, it's a question of majority. Same as the colorspace for Bluray is reduced to rec.709 and not P3.

Yes, it would probably be best to put the nearfield mix on DVDs and Blurays as the default/first audio track in AC3, and add the original theatrical mix as e.g. dts HD. No one concerned about playback performance would care to be forced into switching over or to buy dts HD or TrueHD capable equipment.

- Carsten

Gorges Gorgero
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2019 02:42 AM      Profile for Gorges Gorgero   Email Gorges Gorgero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My intention is not to put the DTS audio on a bluray or DVD, I have a Kinoton FP30D equipped with a DTS reader, I have a DTS XD10 and a DTS-6D, I have 35mm movies from other countries (Russian, English) and I would like I can put the audio in Spanish, I have some DTS discs of my movies in English and I would like to be able to change the audios of this album to Spanish in some way, since the DTS discs in Spanish I can not find them anywhere. This is why I ask if someone knows how to put audio files in some processor of these, I have the wav removed from the bluray and I would like to hear them at the same time I project my 35mm movie. This is why someone knows how to pass wav to aud, and if someone knows how to connect the DTS reader to a player or PC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: