Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Nitrate handlers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nitrate handlers
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2018 12:34 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. I will be carefully going through some old film here. I know there is nitrate here also. Any idea who to contact to get rid of it after I have it ready?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-20-2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In NYC, the Museum of Modern Art's film archive deals with nitrate regularly - (212) 708-9602 or fsc [at] moma.org. The Library of Congress archive in Culpeper, VA, would be another possibility, but is a little further away from you.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2018 01:58 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
about equidistant to culpeper there's eastman house in rochester, if you're worried about transporting explosives across state lines. and there's ucla, but that is definitely "a little further away from you".

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2018 02:08 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping they will come and get it. Lol.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2018 05:04 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOC Culpeper would probably pay to have it shipped if they see value for their collection. My niece works there so contact me if you chose to go that route.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-20-2018 05:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick hints at this... Is there anything in this collection that could have any historic or archival value at all?

We're not talking about lost reels from "Greed," are we? [Wink]

That's the first thing to do. Determine whether there is anything valuable. After that, the question comes down to what should be disposed of any how to dispose of it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-20-2018 06:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can say good things about the Eastman House museum. I donated a film to them (not nitrate). and they were good to deal with. Rochester is worth a visit, and they have an impressive film series as part of their regular programming.

If the film turns out to be junk, there are "silver recovery" companies that may pay you to take it. Otherwise, I'm not sure how one would dispose of it, aside from having a big bonfire.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2018 07:55 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will look at it this week. It's in a safe at Radio City Music Hall.

Jesse Crooks
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2018 02:16 PM      Profile for Jesse Crooks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MoMA's nitrate storage facility is in Hamlin, PA, but perhaps they'd accept a donation in NYC and transport it themselves. I believe Katie Trainor would be the one to contact.

The LOC will pick up nitrate, but these days the budget requisition process means that they probably wouldn't be able to make the trip unless there's quite a bit or it's something very special. If you're interested in donating it to them you should get in touch with George Willeman, the nitrate vault manager. I drove a car load of nitrate there and got a wonderful tour of the vaults, so it was well worth the trip.

Deborah Stoiber would be the one to contact at the Eastman Museum.

You can also find someone who's certified to ship nitrate. With the specific nitrate hazmat certification you can FedEx it. Any archive you donate it to would likely be able to connect you with someone in NYC that can ship it for you.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2018 12:44 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, how would you put out a nitrate fire in the event that it did ignite?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-30-2018 05:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are only two ways.

1 - Reduce the ambient temperature to below the point at which nitrate can combust (flash point is 39F / 4.4C, so this is a tall order!).

2 - Exhaust the supply of fuel (i.e. let the fire burn itself out).

Remember the "fire triangle" you were taught in middle school science lessons: fuel, oxygen, and a source of ignition. Remove any one of those three, and no fire can start. Nitrate is especially dangerous, because the fuel actually contains the oxygen.

Because oxygen is created as a by-product of the combustion process (very chemistry-geeky explanation here), you cannot put it out by depriving it of oxygen. If you throw a fire blanket over it (for example), it will continue to burn. There are videos of nitrate burning inside a container of water kicking around on the net.

The most widespread way of extinguishing a fire - pouring water over it - does so by two simultaneous actions: lowering the temperature, and depriving the fire of oxygen. Neither action is effective in the case of nitrate, which is one of the two reasons why the emphasis on nitrate safety is on preventing the stuff from going up in the first place, and providing quick and safe exit routes if it does. The bottom line is that if it ignites, then basically, you're buggered (or at the very least, the film is). The second is that as well as oxygen, burning nitrate releases nitric acid fumes. A room full of those would make the San Quentin gas chamber seem positively pleasant. When nitrate was in mainstream use, the main causes of deaths and injuries resulting from nitrate fires were inhaling the VERY poisonous fumes, and stampeding for the exit. There were hardly any actual burn injuries.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2018 05:18 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the only way to extinguish a nitrate fire is to cool it with an enormous quantity of water. Some nitrate vaults are built with dump tanks above them to operate automatically in the event of a fire. The smart approach is to take every precaution to prevent it igniting in the first place, and to ensure the immediate environment will prevent the fire spreading if it does. The fumes produced in a fire are so toxic that you don't want to be hanging around trying to put it out.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2018 09:34 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened the cabinet and started going through the film. There is a bunch of test film, trailers, reels of mag track, etc.. Most of it is indeed nitrate. Most are in cans. Some loose film. The smell is horrible. It's worse than any other old film smell I've ever dealt with. Also, the fumes were so bad that it actually hurt my eyes. I'm not sure any archive would even take it. I think we may be better just having it removed and disposed of the proper way.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-01-2018 02:59 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phillip Grace
Some nitrate vaults are built with dump tanks above them to operate automatically in the event of a fire.
I guess that's feasible: if there is a known quantity of nitrate in a totally enclosed space, then it's possible to figure out how much water, and at what temperature that water would need to be, would be needed to reduce the temperature far enough below that flash point to extinguish the fire, if you dumped it all out into the vault space at once. Also, as the film elements in the vaults would be in individual cans, not all of it would ignite at once, and so if the water was dumped early enough, you'd likely save a lot of the film, too. Water-damaged film might be able to be saved, but burned film is guaranteed not to be.

quote: Richard May
There is a bunch of test film, trailers, reels of mag track, etc.. Most of it is indeed nitrate. Most are in cans. Some loose film. The smell is horrible. It's worse than any other old film smell I've ever dealt with. Also, the fumes were so bad that it actually hurt my eyes.
The mag track is unlikely to be nitrate. It started to be used on a significant scale at the same time that nitrate started to go away (late '40s / early '50s).

I've never experienced nitric acid fumes that were strong enough to make my eyes sting, but I sure have been hit with acetic acid (vinegar syndrome) fumes from early cellulose triacetate that were. Is this collection mixed late nitrate and early acetate? If so, that's the worst possible combo for decomposition.

Paradoxically, late nitrate is the fastest decomposing (all other factors being equal), because when the war broke out, film base manufacturing plants took to using cheap, nasty, and highly acidic wood pulp to make the cellulose pulp for the feedstock: the stuff that was NFG for making aircraft fuselages and all the other war stuff that needed wood. That continued right up until nitrate was phased out. So from an archivist's point of view, 1940s nitrate is generally the worst.

As others have pointed out, it's the content and its condition that will determine whether any archives are interested. A lot of trailers might not survive, or if they do, the elements held by archives may not be in as good a condition as yours is. It's a lot of work, but if you're interested in saving the stuff worth saving, a basic list of what each element is and what sort of physical condition it's in would enable an acquisitions officer to make a decision as to whether it would be worth footing the bill for shipping to take it off your hands.

Otherwise, it's looking increasingly like a bonfire in an empty parking lot in the middle of the night. If you only burn small quantities at a time (I would suggest no more than 1,500 to 2,000 feet), completely in the open air, and well away (as in, at least 100 feet) from anything else combustible, then IMHO, that's the cheapest and safest way to get rid of it. Unroll 20-30 feet from one of the rolls in the pile, so that you are well away from where the main fire will be when you put the match to it, wear a face mask, and ensure that you are upwind from the fire, and that no-one is immediately downwind. I should stress however, that doing this is entirely at your own risk, and I accept no responsibility for the consequences of anyone reading this and trying.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-01-2018 07:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The smell is horrible. It's worse than any other old film smell I've ever dealt with.
Very sharp and bitter smell?
Probably nitric acid and/or nitric oxide. The stuff is pretty toxic. I wouldn't breathe it if I was you.
Standard respirators don't work. The stuff is a gas. Respirators only work for particulates or vapors. (Assuming you have the correct type of filter cartridge.)
The only way to protect against a gas is an air-supplied face mask.

I work in a shop where I deal with nitric acid on a virtual daily basis. It's not very much fun when you accidentally get a snootfull of the stuff!

Also, the fumes were so bad that it actually hurt my eyes.
Take your film outdoors or to a well ventilated room the next time you open it up.

A pair of fully-enclosed goggles will help keep your eyes from burning. (Whether indoors or outdoors.)

If your eyes do sting from acid fumes, some saline eye drops will help soothe them.

I'm not sure any archive would even take it. I think we may be better just having it removed and disposed of the proper way.
I'm with Leo. Just take it outdoors where there's nobody and nothing around and burn it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: